HybridZ

944 Turbos

cygnusx1

For all of us that like the S30 Z bodies, I find myself also liking the looks of the later 944's. Does anyone have any experience with the 944 Turbos? Any feelings or comments about them vs. S30's? Advantage/Disadvantages vs. S30's as far as modding and/or track performance?

This video caught my eye:

http://videos.streetfire.net/category/Porsche/0/67D58C7C-DBB4-4783-BF93-C9F51DFD4195.htm

Fun cars, chip them for a quick 285hp, a bit heavy, very complicated when you end up needing to do things like change the headgasket. That one books out for 24 hours labor! Clutch changes are also a royal PITA as you have to pull the exhaust under the car, the transmission and the torque tube to get at the clutch IIRC. The Turbo S is the one to get I think they were out in 87-89 or so. That model has a bigger turbo, and I think bigger 928 brakes on it. Badass car. Turbo S is the way to go IMO if you can find one.

One other thing my boss told me (he had a 944 Turbo S) was that if you put 100 octane gas in them they would keep boosting until the knock sensor kicked in. I don't claim to know exactly how the FI system works, but he made it sound like it wasn't as reliant on a map as other systems.

I was offered to buy a 944 non turbo for $1,500. It need a engine rebuild so I said no. they are ok cars but cost for parts is a pain. I would rather do an engine swap with something non porsche just to off set maintainence cost, regaurdless of HP after.

My dad has a 944 turbo and it costs $$$$ to keep it running...to bleed the clutch you have to remove 2 heatshields, the starter, and some other stuff and then you can barely get a wrench on there to losen the bleed valve...lol

and don't try to drive a 944 turbo onto some ramps...or fit a regular jack under it...we have to drive it onto a stack of 2x4s to be able to get a jack under it...and it is not lowered at all...lol

The porche has air conditioning is there but does not work...to buy a replacement clock it is $500...and it is digital...it is really fast but a bit heavy as well...once it hits 3200 in third it is pulling all of it's 217hp...

it is rather slow off the line...my Z would have it all day...until we hit about 60...then the Porsche would have it.

If you want a car that will never lose it's value then get a porsche...but think of the starting price that you will pay for a decent 944 turbo...7-9 thousand and then spending that much in the next two years to keep it running...a turbo replacement is like 2 grand overall...

just a lot of $$$$

I have like 7 in my Z and it is more fun to throw around and not always worry about messing something up...plus the S30 weighs like 800 or more pounds less...I shouldn't rant...it is a good car...but not the most reliable...

The one My dad bought has been wrecked...and there are lots of problems with it...lol

I use to have a 944. It was an 87 and in excellent condition. As everyone else has been saying they are very very expensive to work on and to get serious horsepower out of the engine its gonna be pricey. If you are attracted to the looks of the 944 why not pick up a late z31 turbo? Alot of people think they share similar looks but the z31 turbo can be modded alot easier and can make some very serious power. Oh yea, and its a Nissan :)

used to run track events, been on track with several 944Ts - man, they fly! 'course i was in a stock ZX. one buddy put aviation gas in his 944T, burnt the motor up somehow. was going to cost him 10K to rebuild. asked me what kind of z he could get for the same money. i said, 'just about any kind you could WANT!!'