HybridZ

WHAT DOES IT SOUND LIKE WHEN?

What does it sound like before your ujoints blow out on your halfshafts?...

My new tranny and torque converter are

really putting a strain on the driveline

now... when i hit 2nd real hard i hear

a series of loud sharp "cracks" and i can feel a slight shudder comming from the

rear passenger side of the car...

Has anyone else heard this sound????

Dude, that is the sound of the needles in the u-joints going. Danger, Will Robinson. I was in a GTO once when we heard that under full throttle, and seconds later the FRONT u-joint went out (no driveshaft loop) beat a big hole in the floor, shortened the driveshaft by 2 feet, and broke the tranny case (Turbo 400). No fun.

Time for new u-joints, I'd bet. You've got 6 of them to check though.

Yah man... that is u joints for sure.. my first 280zx made that sound when I bought it I've got a buddy with a jeep and he lost a u-joint the other day: his drive shaft fell out of the back of the transfer case and punched a hole in his floor. thank god it was only a Jeep! smile.gif I'd check your car out realy soon, and try not to drive it too much till you know.

------------------

The crazy datsun guy

This is going to sound really stupid,

But check your parking brake lever assembly. Before I removed mine, the driveshaft would bang up against it and make a HORRIBLE noise under heavy loading (from what sounded like the rear pass side). That driveshaft moves around quite a bit so make sure nothing is in its way.

As for a half shaft U-joint, I had no audible indication that mine was ready to go.

Just a: SNAAAAP... clink, clink, clink, clink, clink...

By then it was too late.

Good luck

-Andy

I have had the e-brake problem before, but

I do have the nose of the diff. anchored down pretty tight,so i do not think that it is causing the problem. My strap (automotive

ac belt) may have snapped though, I will have to get under there and check it out

this weekend....

The sound is usually followed by AAAIEEEiieeeee. @#$%%!!! Broke one @ 90mph in my Olds...two days after installing a safty loop. Still ripped up the tunnel. Knocked my console right off the mounts into the air! Myron with your HP, and if you have sticky tires, make sure you have a driveshaft saftey loop.

JS

• 4 weeks later...

Good news.. The loud cracking coming from the rear of my was the diff hitting the ebrake mechanism.. I had an automotive

serpentine belt strapped over the top of it but it must have gotten stretched a little too much... Now it has a chain over the top

of the diff and it is bolted to the vibration damper... I rejetted the carb

and took the platinum tipped plugs out and it seems to be running much better...

Myron