HybridZ

Just got my 1st Z few questions (searched)

Guest scottiedawg66

Guest scottiedawg66

Hey there, well i just finished a 1jzgte swap into my mk3 (`87-'92) Supra, and today a friend of mine gave me his '71 240 Z. Im pretty excited, im not sure what im gonna do with it, but I would like some sugguestions. Also, what Jap turbo engines do they make motor / tranny mount kits for. I can fabricate, but i would rather buy motor mounts and tranny mounts. This seems like a cool forum because most of you are what i consider "real" mechanics, meaning you understand and respect many different types of power plants, and know how to make them work in a great platform being the Z. Im looking forward to working on my new Z and getting to know people on here!

~scott

Hey welcome aboard,

I just got my first Z too! Iam going to have her towed home tomorow night

Iam not sure what kind of mounts are out there as iam new to this engine swaping stuff my self. Iam going to go with a turbo v8 of some sort in myne for sure not 100% decided on size or make yet ...

Guest bastaad525

I may be wrong here but I"m 95% certain that the only 'ready made' motor mounts you can buy for 240z are the ones for installing a Chevy 350 small block engine. Now, on Hybrid Z we've seen everything from rotaries to V12's swapped into the early Z cars but they were all custom one-off jobs, meaning all mounts and hardware had to be custom fab'd.

I think someone did just, or is going to soon, offer a 'ready made' kit to fit the Ford small block as well.

But with all the japanese motors that people have swapped in (skyline engine, supra engine, SR20DET, rotary) that I've seen it's always been custom mounts.

You can always do the L28ET (2.8L straight six turbocharged engine) which bolts right in using the stock motor mounts.

Hey there, well i just finished a 1jzgte swap into my mk3 (`87-'92) Supra, and today a friend of mine gave me his '71 240 Z...

Scottie,

You can do the same to the Z or just go with a turbo ZX motor--a direct bolt in affair. This site started as a V8 swappers site and is geared toward that. The best in domestic powerplants for the Z have to be the LS1 & LS2 motors. Both can be upgraded to make a ton of power and they have truckloads of torque to boot.

Use the search function on the site and do what reading you can on the 240Z in general. You might want to buy the JTR manual to give you some ideas about what is possible for the Z.

Davy

I'm having trouble finding the info but someone from this shop did a green RB25DET swap into an early Z and told me that he was going to offer a swap kit. Sounded pretty promising. They also own one of the few R34 GTR Vspec cars in the country. Pretty cool guys from the ones I've met.

http://www.zcargarage.com/index.htm

Good luck with the car! Hope this info helps.

Guest scottiedawg66
Maybe you should do a 1jz swap into a z? It seems you are already familiar with the engine' date=' so you are half way there!

btw that sr20de looks HUGE in that roadster.[/quote']

I would rather do that, but since i now have a spare 7mgte that came out of my supra i fiure might as well use that. I wonder what a 290 rwhp z 240 would feel like.

~scott

I would rather do that' date=' but since i now have a spare 7mgte that came out of my supra i fiure might as well use that. I wonder what a 290 rwhp z 240 would feel like.

~scott[/quote']

Kinda like going to the t*tty bar. It is fun and a howling good time, however, it just leaves you wanting more.