HybridZ

passing cali. smog with high C/R and high octane?

hoov100

The gas won't matter, if anything it probably has a lot of Tolulene and Xylene which should make it run cleaner. The high compression means you'll probably have a lot of NOx. Just go and have them do a PRE-TEST. Make sure they do a PRE-TEST. That way you'll know if its going to fail badly before they run it. If they run it as a regular test and it comes up as a gross polluter then you have to keep having it smogged every year for a couple years IIRC, real PITA.

No. Octane booster generally sucks. It's the right stuff, don't get me wrong, but the little bottle doesn't have enough of it to do much of anything. When they say that it raises your octane one point, they mean from 92 to 92.1. If you search online you'll find lots of home brews for octane booster using Tolulene and Xylene. I have used them with good effect. Don't bother with the little bottles of octane booster though. Same thing (check the bottle, they usually show what's in it), but $8 for 8 oz, vs $8/gal at the paint store.

Watch the failure rate on NOx. That compression with standard spark advance will make loads of NOx. Make SURE your EGR system functions properly, and that you have good riser and gallery cleanlienss. Any obstructions in the EGR riser, Valve, or gallery under the intake manifold can cause a failure on NOx---the good old days of turning the spark back a few degrees to pass are gone---more than a degree off and you fail! I agree, get a pretest before you do anything else. I have a car in the back yard right now that the guy sold because it got tagged "Gross Polluter" when it failed the NOx portion of the dyno test, as well as the functional test of the gas cap (cap missing, durrrr!).

A needless tag, looks like they suckered him into the "cold cat test" where they don't adequately light the cat off before running the test. Car passed CO and HC, but failed NOx, could be an EGR riser plugged as well, but there was no need to get tagged "GP" on the test!

Several Union 76 stations in CA sell 100 octain unleaded.Or you could mix 4 gal of 91 with one gallon of tolulene and a quart of xylene (any paint store should have these items)put a couple of onces of ATF and a couple more onces of Mineral spirts for cleaning and lubrication purposes.