HybridZ

Will '75 strut assemblies work in my '72

I need to get some front strut assemblies for my 1972 240z. I need some struts to get my car moving so I've got a question. The only struts I have been able to locate in the area are on a '75, will these work in my car? if not how are they different? If I cant drive on them can I at least bolt them in so I can roll the car around until I can get a set of acctual 240z struts? I read somewhere that the newer struts are only longer than the 240 struts, since I plan on lowering the car can I section these struts and use them? and in the likely occasion that these wont fit what am I looking for? Which cars can I make work?

The later strut housings will work just fine on a 240. I'm running them on my 72. They (the part the strut sits in) are a larger diameter but the housings are the same length. The strut isolator (the rubber top part) is taller on the 280.

I've never seen the larger isolators on the front of a 280. On the back, yes, but all the fronts I've seen are all the smaller type. Oh, and to answer your question, yes the 280 struts will work on the 240. I am using sectioned 280 struts on my 71.

Joe

Thought I'd update on this..

We ended up going to a junkyard about 1/2hr north of my friend's house where they have four S30s and three S130s! Plenty of parts! I've already spent $250 of my Next paycheck (not acctually but it will be). The earliest car they had was a '73, mine is a '72 so close enough. Since they are both 240z's then the struts should be identical to what was on mine originally correct? Well, anyway you slice it I decided to get them. Unfortunately, the driver's side has one of the two bottom bolts good and stuck and they were closing so I had to leave it but I'll be back tomorrow with a bigger wrench! I did end up getting the pass side strut off and bringing that home with me, since there was still quite a bit of daylight left I put the strut onto my car and after a little bit of cursing and beating I got it snuggled in right at home, with a wheel and tire on it and everything! So now my car is a three wheeler!! I forgot to bring my camera with me otherwise I would have pics, but I'll get some tomorrow.