HybridZ

Do I need to flip my mustache bar?pics

Guest BiltWel

Guest BiltWel

My front mount is not lining up can anyone tell my if the bar is in correctly or not I suspect that it is. Thanks in advance.

2303459_3_full.jpg

Guest BiltWel

If I flip the Mustache Bar around right for left then I think everything will line up but I am not sure if the rear control arm link assembley will clear the mustache bar if I do that.

Guest BiltWel

Thats what I was thinking jmortenson. I beleive I have the isolating rubber mount on the front of the diff backasswards. The front mount for the transverse links(holds the bushings) is off towards the back about an inch or so. took everything back apart on the front and it looks like if I flip it everthing will line up perfectly. I'll let you know. P.S. The car is a 73 240, the diff and mustache bar are 260 peices, and the reason it has no undercoating is because I spent three days under it with a torch scraping the crap off. BY the way guys thanks for the advice.

Guest BiltWel

Alright just thought I'd post the solution to my problem. The front mount indeed was backwards. Flipping it around allowed all the suspension peices to line up. Also just another little tidbit for anyone doing the R200 swap into a 240 the stock strap over the nose of the diff must be removed or at least mine did in order for the diff to go into position(the strap was not allowing the diff to go high enough into the car to bolt up) so thanks everyone for all the assistance and hope this helps someone down the road.

BiltWel

Are you sure the diff and mustache bar are from a 260?

As far as I know the R200 wasn't available in a 260.

I was able to keep the strap when I put an R200 into my 73 240.

Maybe your strap is newer and isn't as stretched as an older one would be.

Wheelman

260 2+2's had R200's.

I tried running without the strap when I first got my car running and the nose of the diff lifted enough that the yoke/u joints hit my parking brake assembly in the tunnel. The mount was fairly new also. This was before I limited the diff movement.

If this is an early car, 70 or early 71, then the strap is too far forward. This is because the early cars had the diff 1" forward from where the later cars did. The solution is to move the strap back, and bolt it into only the rear hole, or better yet mod the front diff mount mod so that the diff can't lift like Clifton did and then get rid of the strap completely. The strap is necessary if you are running the stock front diff mount, but IMO that whole setup sucks, and there are enough EASY solutions like Clifton's that messing with the strap is just a waste of time.

When I did my conversion (R200 into early 240), I ran into the same issue of the strap not fitting however, it was really close! What I mean is, that the strap prevented the diff from being lifted enough to install and bolt the mount in place. OH. what to do? After looking closely at the problem I discovered that if I removed the steel sleeves on the strap mounting bolts, it allowed just enough room to complete the task. I did have to use a floor jack to apply force. Now the strap is relatively tight and have had no ill side effects from doing this mod. This worked for me anyway! Probably not the best method for someone with high HP.