HybridZ

Debating Fuel Cells. Fuelsafe vs. Summit

Guest TegRacer324

Guest TegRacer324

Alright well I think I'm finally picking up a welder this week so I'll finally be able to start putting my Z together. First things first is getting a fuel tank in the car so I can find out if the engine in there even runs.

So basically my debate is should I go with the 15 or 20 gallon Summit cell for 180 or 200 or should I just spend the extra and get a 15 gallon Fuel Safe cell for 450? I mean does the extra 250 bucks really worth it in terms of safety and performance? I plan on bringing the car to the track when I'm done with it and driving it around town. Just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on whether it's worth the extra money for something like a Fuelsafe or if I'll be fine with just getting something from summit.

Some semantics:

Fuel Cell - A rubber or Kevlar bladder that the fuel is actually contained in. Typically has internal foam baffling to reduce vapor and keep the fuel from sloshing around. Road racing fuel cells are rated by the FIA. Drag racing and street fuel cells are either not rated or SFI rated.

Can - The container the fuel cell is surrounded by. Fuel cells must be installed in a container of some kind. Sometimes that's a spare tire well, an aluminum or sheet steel box, or inside of an existing steel steel tank.

The fuel cell is the most important part. It is deisgned to resist impacts and punctures and keep fuel from leaking out.

FYI... a plastic fuel tank with fittings on it is not a fuel cell.

Guest TegRacer324

Yeah I knew the terminology wasn't really right, but wasn't about to start classifying each.

The Fuel Safe is obviously supposed to be safer. Will the summit one even hold up if someone rear ends me or am I gonna have gas all over the place if that happens?

Good Question...Here is mine. Not a approved Fuel Safe. A 12 gal Summit racing fuel cell which is a red steel box with a black poly inside and inside that slosh foam.

The cell sits in an aluminum sheet and angle boxed tub which acts as a structural frame member similar to the spare tire tub. Between the alum box and steel cell is 1 inch of fuel proof foam. For some additional safety from a rear end collision 1 1/8 square steel bar is welded to the unibody behind the alum box. Also behind the tail lights alum is used to tie the rear lower hatch flanges together and to the floor and 1 1/8 square bumper bar. When I built this there is a fuel safe that will fit in the tub but I would loose a few gallons and the cell was not cheap. Doesn't matter as I am not to build a spec race car. Just thought I would post what I did as maybe to help you out.

10889Picture_044.jpg