HybridZ

Crank Angle Sensor - Standalone?

Can the '83 Turbo distributor be used as a crank angle sensor for a Haltech or any other standalone? Or do you need to add an alternate pickup somewhere on the crank or camshaft?

Thanks, I am just studying the whole migration to standalone from stock ECCS but that is one point that is unclear to me.

You will want to run sequential inj, which requires a crank and cam trigger. Crank trigger is easy, use your distributor as cam trigger or fab cam trigger from old fuel pump eccentric on nose of cam; weld on tooth and use hall effect sensor mounted on inspection plate brkt.

Thanks you answered my next question. Which was going to be about if you run batch fired only. It's nice to know that at least with Haltech, you can setup for batch fired now, and then add a crank sensor and go sequential later. MS however...is sooo affordable.

To be a little more specific; I am installing Haltech and going to use the Stock Distributor off of my 82 turbo engine. Take the wheel out of a 300zx Distributor and place that in the 82 Distributor. The 300zx wheel gives the Haltech a 'Home' signal.

Max size inj with batch fire is about 45 pph, more than that and sequential inj allows better turndown at idle, otherwise too rich.

It will be interesting to see how my 4g63 idles with 850cc injectors and megasquirt. I hear MSII allows a finer scale batch control which helps with bigger injectors, but I haven't looked into it since I won't be running an MSII unit.

I read the entire SDS manual and supplememt today and It seems like a pretty comprehensive package. It looks pretty easy to mount up four little magnets on the crank pulley. I will need some bigger injectors though. I am thinking about Ford 42# off of ebay. I am not sure if they fit into the L28 manifold though....anyone? I have a JSK threaded fuel rail that I could convert to O-ring either by machining or adapters.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Racing-Bosch-42lb-hr-42-lb-Fuel-Injectors-8_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33554QQitemZ8054381817QQrdZ1

Hey cygnus, the Supra 440cc injectors can be had for about half the price (used) of those Ford ones. Just passing along my experience in case cost is a concern. I use them on my car and I can verify that they fit the manifold.

Thanks but I just bought a set of six new Ford Racing 42# High Impedence on ebay for $225. I see that there is one set of Supras on ebay now and they are already at $100 so I don't feel so bad but THANKS for the info anyhow.

I think the Ford/Bosch units will fit also. I am going to install them when I add the SDS.

I am not yet sure about going with magnetic pick ups on the crank pulley-distributorless, or MSD-with distributor yet.

Decisions Decisions.