HybridZ

5spd nissan vs bw 5spd

Silent

alright, since it's pretty much a given i'll blow either one up eventually. i have both a 5spd 81 zx tranny, and bw 5spd. which one would be less likely to barf. looking around 350-400 ft lbs. or around 330 rwhp. i have heard several different answers for each.

I'd say the BW - NIssan didn't think enough of their tranny to use it in the ZXT - who are we to doubt them?

I WOULD get a good shifter for it tho - to prevent overshifting into third...

kinda what i was thinking as well. cheaper to get parts for too, shifter isn't a big deal. prolly get a hurst or b&m for it

I like the gear ratios of the BW better myself BUT with that said, a shifter is $180 and a driveshaft will set you back as well. I paid $400 for mine with the Chevy joint in the back and the Nissan joint in the front. The Nissan is a bolt in for your current driveshaft. All about the $ as usual...

I would think so concidering a decent driveshaft made from the like in Inland Empire, quoted me 433 for a drive shaft for the 280ZXT. Thats with the spicer Ujoints but my god!!

It seem that the biggest problem is finding a slip yoke for the T5. It has been said but not confirmed that the 240SX slip yoke is the same, but some have said it has a larger OD that doesnt fit the seal of the T5 which is 1.375 inches.

I know I need the driveshaft...didn't know about the tranny mount...thanks.

well i have everything from a zxt, aside from the stock shifter, which will be getting something better IF if decided to do the bw swap.

but i can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone on the driveshaft if it is a direct bolt in. im really not in the mood to spend 400 bucks on a driveshaft. if that the case, i'll get the gears and synchro's cryo treated for the nissan 5spd

I used a new Nissan slip yoke on mine. The 27 spline is the same as a Mopar, but the OD (seal ID) of the Nissan slip yoke is uncommon. You can take a Mopar yoke and have the outside turned down. This will allow you to run the 1310 u-joints. This is just not the weak link on my car and I elected to stick with the Nissan slip yoke. My driveshaft was $400 with the new slip yoke, NEAPCO adapter with 1310 u-joint and Nissan u-joint in the front. I was VERY pleased with the service of http://www.wencodriveshafts.com

Pretty much any transmission shop should be able to order one for you. I have an "RPM SuperKit" that I am eventually going to use to rebuild mine. When I worked for a Volvo dealer I had them order it for me. It was $85 at jobber price, IIRC list was like $250. So they really screw you on it. The kit includes all new Nachi bearings (I think these are the same as Nissan uses), new front and rear seals, the gasket that goes inside the bellhousing, and all new synchros. The other thing you need is the nut that goes on the end of the mainshaft. I ordered it from Nissan and it wasn't expensive.

I still haven't rebuilt mine yet, but I have a friend who has rebuilt a bunch of transmissions and if you give him the tranny out of the car I think he charges 5 hours, so it can't be terribly difficult. I have rebuilt two other transmissions and found them to be pretty straightforward. I hope those don't end up being famous last words though.