HybridZ

Wire slpice wars PICS!!!

I case you ever wondered why your headlights go dim, strange things happen in the rain, etc, etc....

I present to you "SPLICE WARS"

Nissan just didn't use solder... at all.....

I am going to apply solder liberally throughout the car...

engine harness before unwrapping.

engineharnessbefore.jpg

After unwrapping

engineharnessafter.jpg

I'll be damned... FOG LIGHTS!!!

leftfrontclip.jpg

Headlight splice.. kind of exposed if you ask me.. I dont like it at all...

headlightsplices.jpg

Soo this is why my horns didn't work... someone pulled too hard.

badhornsplice.jpg

How nice.. splices with extra wire!!!

anothergroundsplicewithextraloops.jpg

Fuse panel fully soldered... It took a bigass iron on one side and a little iron on the other... with lead solder in my teeth...

solderedfusepanel.jpg

I am adding relays for everything... but I thought I would show you guys what I found.....

Typical ground splice. It had been very hot and melted the tape and browned the main power+ right next to it.... whew!!!

Typicalspliceshowingheatdamagecorro.jpg

Actually your wires look to be in pretty good shape. At least they look like they can be soldered. All my wires had corrosion and they wouldn't accept the solder. I ended up rewiring the whole car with a Centech wiring kit. Nice pictures for reference's.

That is an interesting find, and a great post. I applaud you for figuring out what the gremlins are all about, I'm sure this contributes to 80% of them! I also aplaud you for going through the complete harness and 'rebuilding' it instead of buying new. (that's what I did)

You haven't lived until you've torn apart and fixed the wiring in these things. I did it to my last one, tracing and labelling every wire. It was a nice 2 week project. I spliced to junkyard harnesses into one complete one.

ACtually many cars have splices, very common older way of doing it. If you solder that connection it will eventually work harden the copper over the years and it will rip the copper starands off. Metripack connnectors are the way to go on connections outside the car.

That is a very good point Clint... I have a great deal of experience with low voltage electrical systems... I build TV studios for a living... Often clamp type connections are better than solder in situations where things need to be flexible or removable... but the connections I am soldering are going to be permanently mounted and will not suffer from flexing very much...

I remember that! I eliminated all the splices and ran individual wires to everything. I then connected the grounds using a ground block. All the power wires were run seperately from the connections under the dash aswell. All going to Maxi fues blocks.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=6737&cat=500&ppuser=7958

At all the connections for the running lights and head lights I used packard delphi weatherpack connections. They work great! If you decide to use them, get the crimper and the removal tool. Yeah, the crimper is about $100 but well worth it.

2003Z..You must have more spare time then me. It took me about a month to rewire just the engine bay.

Fog light wires was a nice find, but I eliminated those wires. I'll probably regret that later.

2003Z..You must have more spare time then me. It took me about a month to rewire just the engine bay.

I'm an airline pilot. At the time I was a relatively new hire with no money, and switched to a plane that was behind on training, so I sat at home for 2 and a 1/2 months with full pay and nothing else to do.

I'm an airline pilot. At the time I was a relatively new hire with no money, and switched to a plane that was behind on training, so I sat at home for 2 and a 1/2 months with FULL PAY and nothing else to do.

Oh the sacrifices we have to make sometimes. lol

I forgot about the minimum order with waytek. Thats probably why I went the ebay route.