HybridZ

Welding Face Shield problem

260DET

OK I stand corrected. When my first helmet flashed me I would see "The Dot" so I assumed it wasn't dark enough to really protect my eyes. Kinda like wearing sunglasses. I wouldn't stand around in a pair of shades watching someone mig weld all day even if it technically didn't injure my eyes.

well welding lenses are specially made to stop all UV light from coming through the lens...sunglasses offer minimal protection that is not good enough. The HF helmets are a shade 3 and darken within 1/25,000 of a second. After about a year my last HF helmet started flashing me in low amperage TIG so I got a new one and got the warranty. They last around a year of welding 15-20 hours a week. My current one is 4 months old and I have done stick horizontal, vertical, and overhead so the helmet is baked and has a few holes from serious globs of metal sitting on the plastic hood. It is a great price for what you get.

you need at least a shade 8-9 if you are just watching MIG to be safe...better safe than sorry. Great $50 buy.

Guest Speedyblue

OK then, does anyone have any input on auto darkening helmets that are available in Australia. I have seen them advertised, but haven't heard any feed back on them.

I hate those cheap hand held things that come with mig welders. Ours didn't last very long before it was replaced.

Just bought a Trade Tools own brand job for $79, its a full face helmet that also covers part of the top of your head, has adjustable bands etc. Seems OK, will give it a serious workout the next day or so.

So, the autodark screen you look through is actually an LCD. The solar cell on the front picks up high intensity photons from the welding arc, and triggers the helmet to apply a voltage bias to the LCD. The individual crystals in the LCD rotate, effectively blocking the arc from vision, in proportion to the amount of bias applied. The shade control is nothing more than a resistor- you can dial in the bias and set a maximum angle for the crystals- and change the shade.

Have to say after using the AU Trade Tools auto darkening helmet that it does the job. Blocks reflections in most situations, the adjustable intensity works well and it enables you to position the handpiece tip right where you want it to get the weld started.