HybridZ

Broke the 300hp mark, finally!

datsunan

After finding problems with 2 of my injectors I took my cat to the dyno and finally got some more respectable #s. I still think there is more power to be found, I'm just not sure where to look. I think my AFR are good, changing my timing from 20 to 18 really helped my power above 5200 rpm. I don't know if I can take more timing out or if I should up the fp, or leave the fp and try more boost. I think it is running good enough that I could up the boost but with a felpro HG and stock head bolts that might not be such a good idea. What do you think? This was at 18psi.

scan2.jpg

scan00021.jpg

Your A/F's could use a little adjustment. I'd lean it out to around 11.5-11.8:1 to keep it safe in the upper RPM's. You are losing power with the car running that rich.

Also, see how power starts falling off after 5200? A good turbo cam may be in your future. That is where the stock turbo cam begins to run out of breath. Since you have the JWT setup, I don't know what tuning you can do...

Good #'s though. 300rwhp is a handful in an S30

Nice. I would recommend and aftermarket programmable computer, I don't trust JWT to tune my ECU without my car. And then try adding more timing (EDIT: as in more advance), especially down low, before you lean it out.

With a little fine-tuning, you can get a lot out of these motors. Ehhh, what motor are you running, by the way?

For example, here's my VG30ET at 18 psi intercooled, t3/t04e (shameless self-tuning boast):Max450cc.jpg

I think the rich top-end is hurting your hp alittle. I tuned mine to be high 11's at low-rpms and then mid 11's by redline. Also I ran 22psi on my stock block with stock head bolts but I did run a metal head gasket. Not sure on the felpro so your block could handle more. Also why would pulling timing make more power? Only way I could see that is if you were getting a miss. But usually more timing equals more power and more likely to detonate.

I don't know why when I pulled timing it had a significant improvement on the curve above 5200. At 20 it dropped off alot after 5200 and at 18 it stayed flat till over 6000. I'm surprised it so rich since last time I dynoed it was much leaner and I only made 275 hp

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jason84NA-T

Nice numbes, those torque figues look quite good... That thing must move nicely!

Sorry if I take a tangent here..... The JWT tune is very rich, but yours is running a tad rich even for their default tune. I can see ~20hp to be gained right there, and probably another 10-15 by revising the timing maps. There is a lot of potiential on the system you have it it is tuned WELL and not just a default JWT. You can do all of this with the setup you have plus a romulator and a laptop. Or you can always have someone bun you a new chip with just the AF corected a little.

Info on me site hee if you ae inteested:

http://www.redz31.com/pages/fuel/romulator.html

These are the gains at the same boost pressure (edit: which was 15.8psi) that I realized by re-tuning the JWT progam on a Z31:

beforeaftertune16PSI.JPG

That's what I gained with 2 hous on a dyno simply by making new fuel and timing maps. Sure, the JWT tune is not bad... but it's far too conservative and geneic to be taken seriously for anyone wanting to make the most of what they have.

Also why would pulling timing make more power?

90% of the time advancing the timing will increase power. However, advancing timing as close to detonation is not always the best idea for power. Some motors like to have more retarded timing in some areas versus others. Only dyno time, preferably with a knock sensor, can tell.

IE, 40 degrees gives me detonation, 39.9 is where I have it--but in all actuality, 36 is where it likes to be for power.