HybridZ

Got My DSL Today!!woohoo wow!!

Guest BiltWel

Guest BiltWel

Man I was sceptical about paying for dsl I have been on dialup for about 15 yrs but my wife finally talked me into it and all I can say is !!woohoo!! wow what a difference on the web. I should have done it years ago. Everybody post your favorite vids here so I and others can view them as I am loving streaming video now!!

I know exactly how you feel. I resisted the harrassment from my family for years for having dial-up. I just dcouldn't justify it in my mind for as little time as I spent on the computer at home. Besides - I like playing solitaire so the long downloads weren't a big problem.:wink:

Anyway - SBC/ATT came out with teh 12.99 special and, since that was a better price than my dial-up I decided to give it a shot. I have been pleased with the results.

One item, though. I've heard that it's a good idea to get a router to act as a secondary firewall to protect the computer form hackers. With dial-up they tend to ignore you but with dsl or cable you come on their radar.

I kneeled at the front door of the cable company for three years begging them to run digital cable to my house. Now I got what I asked for...SUPER high speed data and a SUPER huge bill... :-( worth every penny though... especially that HD TV stuff!!!

Oh yeah forgot to add, my local phone lines would only support speeds of about 1 to 3 kb/s OUCH!! Now I get 1200 kb/s

I kneeled at the front door of the cable company for three years begging them to run digital cable to my house. Now I got what I asked for...SUPER high speed data and a SUPER huge bill... :-( worth every penny though... especially that HD TV stuff!!!

Oh yeah forgot to add' date=' my local phone lines would only support speeds of about 1 to 3 kb/s OUCH!! Now I get 1200 kb/s[/quote']

Phone lines from 1962? Probably not good here. I am probabaly going to get a cable modem soon. I have nothing at home now, I even took the modem out of the old computer.

My cable flies compared to the max speeds of DSL and it's still not fast enough.

There's a company that sells fiber 20 megabit up/down in the bay area for $150 a month. Once I move out I'll be looking specifically for a locaiton that they offer thier service. That's the ultamite net connection right there.

Congrats on the DSL. Yes you should have done it sooner, but at least you really appreciate it. I've met lots of people that can't tell the difference becuase they don't really do video steaming or file downloading.

Guest BiltWel

I have an AllTell Package that includes my phone service with three free hours of long distance, My Sat TV with 120 channels(including speed I love PINKS), and my DSL for $103 per month.