HybridZ

New Kumho SPT Ecsta Tires - Any Feedback?

I am getting new tires for my '73 240Z and I have been told that the Kumho 712's are one of the best.

has anyone ran a set of the new Kumho SPT Ecsta tires yet? I was told today by someone at a tire shop that the Kumho 712's are being discontinued. My understanding is that the SPT's are it's replacement.

Any thoughts by anyone who has ran either?

Thanks in Advance!

~Richard

I am getting new tires for my '73 240Z and I have been told that the Kumho 712's are one of the best.

Not unles high mileage is your goal. I guees it depends on how you drive the car and what you do with it. They were way to hard for me. Sold them with less than 2k miles on them. Look at Falken Azenis, much softer but still a street tire.

I run the 712's as a street tire on my Trans Am and they are fine as a basic street tire but they are not "one of the best". I have R compunds for autocross and road racing duty so that's why I'm not too concerned about the street tires. I had a lug nut seize up on me one day at an autocross so I couldn't swap on the R compounds and left the 712's on for that event. All I can say is for that kind of duty the sucked pretty bad.

The Azenis Clifton mentions are an awesome street tire that you can also race on if you so desire.

I run the ecstas on my Z w/ 17's and my g/f has them on her Maxima w/ 17's. They are an EXCELLENT tire for the money. They beat out some good years and G-force tires in the wet for alot less money. NO, they are not race tires, they are street tires. But I have a tough time getting them to break in my car unless it's wet.

-Ed

I agree with ed on this one. I have trouble breaking traction (on the street) unless its wet, or i'm powering out of something really hard. The wet traction is really good too. Sadly though, I have yet to go to an autocross with these tires but I suspect they will grip harder than the falken ziex 512's I had on there before.

don't forget, this is a STREET tire!

I ran the Kumho 712's last summer and hate them, for my dd Corolla they would be good. But if your looking for grip look for something else. On a side note, I'll be running the Yokohama AVS ES100 this summer and hope for better results. Kumho = hard rubber.

i run them right now on my 240z and well light to light they are fine and at a track maybe one pass. they are much like glazed donuts when they get hot and just simple suck as a race tire, but as a daily tire you cant beat the price just dont expect to take turns hard with em or you may make yourself part of the turn.

i run them right now on my 240z and well light to light they are fine and at a track maybe one pass. they are much like glazed donuts when they get hot and just simple suck as a race tire, but as a daily tire you cant beat the price just dont expect to take turns hard with em or you may make yourself part of the turn.

Isn't that interesting, a street tire that sucks as a race tire!!?

I didn't have as much luck with the 712's, Khumos older 711 Z rated tires for me were really nice though. They held great gave great traction and lasted a fairly good while.

I loved those tires but could seem to find them anywhere anymore, supposing they have met they're demise to being upgraded and or removed from stock.

I would have to say depending on what your looking for and the size another pretty good choice is BFG's GForce sport tire. Not to bad for the price and or what it does.

Really it all gets down to what you want to do with the tire.

I ran ecsta 712's on my BMW. They seemed to provide decent traction but nothing special to speak of. And WEAR hahaha, they lasted 12K miles on my Daily driver 325is. Getting much more out of my es100's Im running now, I like them much better as far as performance too. I will say the es100's can get quite loud though.