HybridZ

AZC LSD brace with stock mustache bar.. w/pics

Clifton

I wanted to keep the stock mustache bar as I don't run a solid front diff mount and need the twist the stock bar has. I'm sure others have wondered if this would work with the stock bar too. I had to notch it to clear but not much. Where it is notched is still wider than the ends just before it mounts to the body.

m13se.jpg

m29at.jpg

m39od.jpg

m44vf.jpg

With sway bar installed

m56yk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

BEWARE!! Suspension Techniques apparently changed their whole image. I just bought their bars and they came in a horrid flourescent lime green. They were like that on the ones my friend got for his civic, too. The kicker is, when I was stripping the paint off with Aircraft grade chemical stripper, they were beautiful gunmetal grey underneath... Oh well, a few hours extra work, but they are Satin Black now.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I Have A Questions...which I Bet Has Been Ask Before. Im Still Kinda New To Hybrid. Anyway I Have A 1973 240z And Got The R200 Lsd W/ Finned Cover On It From 300zx (87-89)ofcourse. I Am Currently Using An Early 240z Drive Shaft The Short One. Heres My Question. Is There Any Way I Can Make The Later 240z Drive Shaft The Longer To Fit In My Car??? My Cousin Has An R200 On His 73 240z And He Uses The Longer One. How Is That Possible. Pelase Help Thanks.

Yeah, you'd need to swap out the pinion flange on the R200 to something from a 280Z. Then when you install the R200 that will move the diff back because the mustache bar has a different bend to it. At that point you want to swap to the longer driveshaft. I can't remember if the front diff mount is the same in that case or not, but that would be the only other thing you'd need to change.

im sorry but im not sure what the pinion flange is??? ive had the lsd diff on installed and everything i been running it like that. I just want to know y is the reason why i have to use the short drive shaft from early Z. i do have the finned cover which i had to shave some to fit it on there. I do have the rear transverse link that is curve and the 280z mustache bar on the car. The only thing is that im using 240z front mount and insulator....dont know if i should be using 280z mount and insulator. I just want to be able to use the later drive shaft 72-73 longer one because this is my third driveshaft that ive had to replace and these early 240z d/s are not easy to come by vs the longer 240z d/s i could find those anywhere. I hope u guys understand what im trying to get at here. Thanks a bunch for the info you guys are giving me.

Oh, well if you have it installed and running than someone else must have changed the pinion flange. The pinion flange, is... the uhh... flange that attaches to the pinion. It's the part that the driveshaft bolts to, and the one from the 300ZXT doesn't bolt up to the 240 driveshaft, so you have to use one from a 280 with an R200.

The driveshaft length has to do with the forward placement of the 70 and 71 differential. The diff was positioned about an inch forward, and the driveshaft needed to be shorter to compensate. If you've moved your diff back or installed an R200, then you want to use the longer driveshaft so that you have more of the splines contacting on the output shaft of the transmission.

Your last post is weird though. You really shouldn't have been able to get the finned cover inside the curved transverse link, even if you shaved most of the fins off. It makes me think that you might have redrilled your old mustache bar to fit the R200 on. If that is the case, then if you get the later 280Z mustache bar then you can install the longer driveshaft. If you're running CVs in the back then I'd leave it the way it is. If you're running halfshafts, then I'd move the diff back to correct the U joint angles back there.