HybridZ

Olderthanme's early 260 worklog(run 56k!!!)

OlderThanMe

progress this morning!

my rare header that I am going to get recoated...(me hoping something I own might be valuable)

m44368320.jpg

It is impossible to remove this one piece exhaust with the engine in place.

m44368304.jpg

Here is the end opposite the hole on the end of that broken off piece.

w44368288.jpg

Here is the side picture again. The above view is looking at the right side in this pic.

w44012811.jpg

There is what is left of two stacked intake/exhaust gaskets. Who would stack gaskets???

m44368293.jpg

last night I removed all of the cylinder head bolts from my engine. Unfortunately 3 broke off half of their threads in the engine so they will have to be machined out. It was really hard to get the engine onto the stand because teh stand can't get close enough to the hoist to just bolt it up. I had to remove the flywheel/clutch setup and then swing the engine over to the stand about 8" and then have my dad put the bolts in. I'll pull the timing chain off when I get a chance to work on it next week.

engine on stand_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

well haven't done anything really on the motor...

got bored and sprayed my ceiling.

m46033674.jpg

I also decided I'll clean the tranny. My aluminium polish works great for this:

m46033710.jpg

I may ust get a flap wheel and go crazy and mirror finish my whole tranny and make it easy to clean.

Since this video was not in here I figured I would go ahead an put it in here.

there it is. The a valve or rocker arm is making noise and a piston or wristpin or something is exploded.

First I'll put 120 on my orbital sander and get the texture out. Then 400 grit and finally polishing compound.... hmm... At least it will be pretty opposed to before. Some people have their polished intakes and polished valve covers... I'll have a mirror finish tranny :-)

When Nissan introduced the Titan they had a chassis with drive train on display at the San Francisco Intl Auto Show. Almost every single piece was chromed. All aluminum parts, including the tranny, were polished. Anything that wasn't chrome or polished was powdercoated black or red. Even the engine block was chromed. It was pretty friggin sweet.

haha... I think I will polish up the outside of my cylinder head when it gets stripped down. Don't know what to paint the block. I am about thinking of either rebuilding this block and making a 3.1 TT and doing it DevilZ style and then when it explodes just swap everything onto a F54/p90 engine.

I may go with a red/black engine bay and then do the exterior in some nice blue or something. arg..I've been reading too much wangan midnight...

I was reading Wangan Midnight, and thinking I should paint the car white with black outlines...maybe some gray shading around the contours. Really go for that authentic manga look...

I did my block in white to accentuate the leaks that I knew would be forthcoming. White block and head (new head is left cast finish, I was too disappointed with my last headgasket failure to put any more work into prettifying the p-79) with a black/white letter turbo valve cover (now a bare aluminum one, since I felt like a cheeseball for not having my turbo on yet...) and black wrinkle finish manifold...Of course, that was when the car was painted like a veritech fighter and not all flat black...I'm thinking about doing a camo valve cover now to match the zzzap! hood, what do you think?

hmm... camo valve cover...

nice. Do it.

I may go out and get a can of blue rustoleum and repaint the entire car this weekend. Black is going to be too hot in Florida and Red is a cop magnet...don't want either too close to me though. I was thinking blue with an almond colored stripe. I may roll the engine bay in blackwhile I am at it. I just hate stripping bondo off. I could strip the roof in 15 minutes with an orbital sander.

Here is my #6 piston valves. Sure looks like a ceramic coating on that valve that has chipped off.

m46167498.jpg

my cylinder head:

m46170679.jpg

You've definitely got SOMETHING flaking off that valve...Is there any scoring on that piston? I meant to bring it up earlier, I've seen gasket stacking a few times, I think it's an attempt to cut down on the leaking due to flange warpage. I'm not sure if it works or not, but some people seem to think so.

pictures!

the back side of my mystery header...

m46664711.jpg

here is some scoring but it is not too bad.

m46664572.jpg

here is the score mark on the #3 cylinder. It looks new and seems somewhat related to that noise that I was hearing. It is deeper at the very top of the score.

m46664615.jpg

here is after some cleaning with a towel and Mother's Auminium polish.

m46664866.jpg

finally got the head clean enough to where I can pick it up without getting covered in oil and grease and other gunk.

m46664767.jpg

bagged all my pistons, bearings, end caps and labeled them all.

m46664667.jpg