HybridZ

Olderthanme's early 260 worklog(run 56k!!!)

OlderThanMe

I knew I had rust under the battery and the vertical firewall in the wheelwell...just removed the inner lining and beat out the corruption. That and the passenger floorboards seem like the only big problems. I have a friend that said he will help me with replacing that stuff since he has a shop and a little MIG welder...I just don't have a welder at home...yet...

here is my corner of mull quality rust...at least the rest of the car is not this bad...

first is looking where the battery goes...

the second one is looking from the passenger seat...imagine doing a gravel rally and being the co-driver...lol

third is looking straight down at the battery support and nothing below it.

w39443383_thumb.jpg

w39443368_thumb.jpg

w39446435_thumb.jpg

yep...I am going to be doing my flinstones conversion soon and redoing the floorboards and that passenger side frewall...

plus I have a friend that woorks at a steel supply place..a HUGE steel supply place...I can probably get his price for some steel.

I was thinking about that...I am probably going to drive it to my friend's house 20 miles away to weld it up with no fender on ther right. Just have to protect the windshield.

And those aren't fog lamps...they are full on driving lamps :-) be cause my regular headlights kept getting dimmer and dimmer...now I am going to have 4 headlights with fresh wires up front. I am probably going to move the headlights into the radiator opening and use filled in headlight buckets.

here is a pic from the trip up to zdayz...be sure your driveshaft is tight before a 150 mile trip...I did not tighten it to spec before I left...go figure.

how do you get under a lowered car with no ramps and can't really use a oem jack safely in this situation...drive onto the curb and leave a good amount of rubber on it while people are giving weird looks from the cell phone store and from the gas pumps...

b40528965.jpg

m40528997.jpg

w39035179.bmp

finally cut the tag out so I can post this one.

I am now sorting out what wiring kit to get. I am looking at the painless 12 wire kit for around $250...

If I were to tell you how I did it that would not be good. I would highly suggest getting the strut tubes sectioned and then do the mounts. I may go ahead and section my struts next year since my front struts are sitting very low. I have like 2 inches of strut above the top of the strut cap so you should definitely section them. I am going to raise the car back up a little so I don't have to worry about bottoming out since I don't have bump stops. My ride height is actually too low for the stock length struts.

I used 7" threaded collars that were positioned where the bottom of the collar was 8" from the top of the strut tube. The 10" springs are roughly 1" from the bottom of the collar. I am going to get real upper spring perches rather than my ghetto ones.

aha...I am justgoing to buy the mr2 illuminas for the front and move the front ones to the back and try to sell the rears. There are only a thousand miles on these illuminas and there will probably be 3000 or so when I want to sell them. If I were you I would mount them about 8 inches down since you like that stance. It is still not low enough for me. The height would be great for a daily driver since I hardly ever scrape anything. I am mounting my garden edging today and maybe my splitter. It is just so hot out there. Yesterday it was around 100 and no wind. it is so humid too.