HybridZ

painted my fender with rustoleum...

olie05

Hey, what did you thin the paint out with? I've seen some sites on the net talking about this, they used mineral spirits. Whatever the hell that is, do they sell that at hardware stores or should I go into a bar...or a pub???

Hey, what did you thin the paint out with? I've seen some sites on the net talking about this, they used mineral spirits. Whatever the hell that is, do they sell that at hardware stores or should I go into a bar...or a pub???

lol! Yeah they sell it at hardware stores. And I think you're supposed to use acetone to thin it out with, but the mineral spirits works out fine.

I've used mineral spirits for spraying with the rustoleum, and have had pretty good results. I haven't tried thinning with acetone yet, and so far I haven't seen a need to as the mineral spirits work very well. It gives the paint quite a bit of time to level out before flashing off, and dries to a pretty hard finish. For rolling, I would think that the acetone might have an adverse effect on the foam in the roller......

Mike

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna try it on something one day. How much mineral spirits did you mix to the paint? Like 10%?

When spraying, I normally do more like 20%. Get it to the point where it runs off a stir stick just like water. I haven't tried rolling with it, but 10% sounds like it would be a good starting point.

Mike

indeed...I roll it at about 20-25%...just get a piece of scrap steel and experiment.

I've been rolling it with almost 50/50 mix. It seems the less thinner I use, the more bubbles occur. I probably need more info on that though...

Any reason to not just use a brush to make is smoother and avoid the bubbles? Waaaaaay back at least some cars were factory painted with a brush. Remember seeing one - it's engine had exposed valvetrain that you had to periodically manually squirt with an oil can. The paint on that car looked very smooth and shiny with just a hint of brush marks in a few spots.

Cameron

hey guys,

Here is the deal. I'm getting frustrated with all the wetsanding involved in this. I think I have put in a total of 10 hrs on ONE FENDER!!? I don't know if this is normal of any paint job, but I can't justify spending that much time on paint, which will not make my car go around an autox course any faster.

My options for the rest of the car are as follows:

1) finish painting the car with this method, if a faster way of wetsanding makes itself apparent to me.

2) Paint the car with a gun... Yes, I have several friends with painting guns, and I could use the same paint. I am assuming that spraying it on will give a smoother surface and result in less wetsanding. (I HATE WETSANDING!)

3) abandon the project and let a reputable shop do paint it sometime down the line... (money is an issue)

That being said, here is today's progress, which, contrary to my current attitude towads rolling on paint, is very positive.

DSC00832_Medium_.jpg DSC00833_Medium_.jpg DSC00837_Medium_.jpg DSC00839_Medium_.jpg DSC00840_Medium_.jpg DSC00843_Medium_.jpg DSC00844_Medium_.jpg DSC00846_Medium_.jpg DSC00847_Medium_.jpg

thoughts?

I used an airbrush to paint this small test section on my car:

orange4.jpg

This was a mix of red and yellow stops rust paint, thinned down about 20% with mineral spirits. I haven't tried a larger spray gun or HVLP setup yet, but I know that it sprays very well out of an airbrush. Just like any paint, it will run if sprayed on too thick. I did one light coat (Just enough to get full coverage) then waited about 10 or 15 minutes and shot another right on top of that. The next day I peeled off the tape and wet sanded with 400. New tape, sprayed another two coats and wated another day. Wet sanded again starting with 400 and worked down very quickly to 2000. IIRC the progression was something like 400, 800, 1000, 2000. Followed up by a layer of turtle wax and you get whats in the pic here. Gloss is very good, to my eye it looks just like vintage pre clear coat automotive paint from the 60's and 70's. I've had this spot on the side of my Z now since the original "Roller Painting" thread was posted like almost a year ago. Up until a few days ago it was still shiny and relatively free of scratches. It's FUBAR right now though because I just hacked up that rear quarter to make clearance for my tires under the ZG flares :)

Mike