HybridZ

My New Project...

MaximumHP

Just figured I'd introduce myself and will probably be poking around here quite a bit soon. I've been wearing out the search engine, and there is just ton's and ton's of good info on this site. I got my story and some pics below.

Story:

I've always been a Z fan, but was never able to own one until recently I decided I would try to find an old 240z to work on and basically use as an AutoX car. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do yet engine wise, but will probably do some kind of Nissan 6 cyl swap just to keep it all Nissan equipment. So after looking around for a bit, I found a guy who was clearing out his autobody/salvage place and had tons of Z stuff. I didn't really want tons of parts sitting around, but It was kind of an all or nothing package deal. So I ended up with two 240's, a 71 and 72, and a ton of parts like 3 interiors, a couple hatches, couple windshields, 3 dashes, a 73 motor, a 4 speed and 5 speed tranny, 2 extra pair of doors, a bunch of sheet metal, tons of carb parts, and lots I'm not even aware of yet since both cars are filled to the roof with parts. The 71, yellow one, is actually in fairly decent shape. Looks rough, but very little rust in the front end including the battery tray area. The tailgate has almost no rust. What I could see of the frame rails seemed good, but until I take a really good look it will be hard to tell. The worst is the floorboards, which aren't terrible, but do have rust, and the rear quarters which have about the worst hack-job fender weld in job I've ever seen. I'm hoping I might be able to use what he's got and re-do it properly. I hope to head up soon and see if I can get the 71 running and on the road. Hasn't run for a year, but hoping it starts relatively easy. Any suggestions on starting an engine that's been sitting for a while is welcome advice. I'm looking forward to working on these and contributing the best I can around here.

car17gj.jpg

car28ze.jpg

I definitely plan to sell a great deal of the stuff, but of course I want to make sure I have everything I need before going to nuts selling stuff. I have skool finals in a couple weeks so not much will get done probably until mid May.

I may be interested in one of your taillight setups. I want to convert my 260 back to the 240 taillights so I would need the taillights and all of the body pieces that go around them. Let me know if you would like to sell some of those taillights.

I bought my Z after it sat for 5 years under a pine tree and at a lowpoint in the driveway so water sat under the car...and there were easter eggs under the car. In November...lol

i got mine from an abandoned fish farm, and it had a dead o'possum rotting away under it, and a snake living in the passenger seat...but $200 bucks is a steal for a car that just needed some tlc. wish i had an older model that could use some of those parts...i really need a new hatch

OH! and the first picture I was taking up close to the carbs I was looking at the screen on the camera and there was a black widow larger than a golf ball...Scared the living poo out of me when I saw it on the screen 3 inches from my hand...lol

The week before I bought the Z the previous owner gave me the keys...so I would stop bugging him about wanting to look at the car...and the car was as good as dead sitting there. The clock was not even running.

Yeah, the white one hasn't been registered since 1990. Just briefly looking, there is some interesting stuff in these cars, like I said, they are filled to the roof with crap. I'm sure there's something interesting in there somewhere. Hoping one of the surprises is not a dead animal...

Once I do an inventory I'll throw an ad up for the parts.

Eric,

I looked at those cars too (i live in Oshkosh). Looks like he had a ton of parts laying around and in the cars. Did the 280z sell as well (the one under the tarp)? I have a 280z that i've been working on for about 8 months now, its been slow going be very fun / learning alot.

PS I see that your an engineer, where do you work? I work at Oshkosh Truck

Good luck on your project(s)

-Colin

Let me know if your interested in getting rid of a few of those parts. I've been trying to piece my '72 back together and I still need some stuff. It sounds like you got yourself a real project! Keep us posted.

not to totaly hijack the thread, but what are you looking for? I got a bunch of stuff from my 71 and 74 that i need to get rid of!

you can pm me

He said some other people had looked at them, but didn’t know if he was blowing smoke or not. He really wanted that stuff gone by the end of April, and all of it. They’re plenty of work, but I told myself I want my next project to be more challenging… He was pushing the 280 on me hard when I went to pick up a bunch more junk the last weekend in April. I would have taken it, but I’m up to 6 cars and a bike. Adding another car would have probably meant losing a wife.

We should hook up some day, I’d love to check out your Z some time. I imagine there must be some kind of Z meets in WI somewhere at sometime.

I worked at KC for about 10 years until they decided to outsource half of engineering. Now I’m at a place called IVI that primarily does ventilation work for foundries. Technically I’m still a technician until I graduate next year from Platteville at UWFV.