HybridZ

Paintjob in progress - have question

cygnusx1

I am helping Buzz to paint his 77 engine bay. He laid down two coats of epoxy primer and is ready to lay the color coats and clear coats today. He went over the two day old primer with tack cloth. Does the Primer need to be washed after tack cloth? The engine bay was covered and indoors for the past two days.

Thanks appreciate fast response.

DSC00002_thumb.jpg

No. The tack cloth is generally the last thing to touch the surface of the car before paint. How did you use the tack cloth, though? You're supposed to open it up and ball it loosely, then lightly drag it over the surface. The sticky stuff isn't meant to be transfered to the primer but instead to pick up loose dust and debris.

You could call the store you bought the supplies from to be certain.

OK guys thanks anyway but we found the answer. NEVER add anything to the surface in between coats other than tack cloth if needed. The less you touch to the surface the better off you'll be.

Edit: Thanks mikeatrpi. We found out on a painting forum but you confirmed it.

Hi: This is the first time I painted any thing,after waiting about a year for a friend to come over and paint it .I said what the hell I can't wait any longer summer will be over.I have to get the engine back in!!!I missed out on driving it last summer. It's a 77 z L28 moded tripple webers. So now the engine bay is painted , It wasn't that hard, I bought a good Gun And read a lot of foums.It came out good no runs. Here are some shots. Thanks to Hybid z paint fourm. Thanks MIKE

DSC000151_resize_resize_thumb.JPG

DSC000161_resize_resize_thumb.JPG

DSC000191_resize_resize_thumb.JPG

It looks great, good work! You had a good assistant too- Dave is the only guy from a car forum I've met in person. He supplied me with numerous parts for my ZX. His car is impressive, isn't it? Buzz are you in NY too?

Dave I still have your original fan you gave me, let me know if you want it back to keep with your old motor. I haven't used it yet.

Nah you can keep it. I don't forsee ever going back to my NA motor in this lifetime. Turbo is soo addictive. I didn't really assist Buzz in the paint job, I just keep encouraging him and try to find answers for his questions. He has an awesome Z car that just needs to be TLC'd and he is now well underway! Buzz also lives in NY. A friend of mine and I built the Z that Buzz is working on while we were in high school instead of studying. It sat unused in a garage for 12 years until Buzz just bought from my high school friend a few years back. He is doing a full teardown and reassembly of the car. The motor is still awesome and does not need any work.