HybridZ

1977 280z HELP!

Guest 77datsun

Guest 77datsun

Alright this is my first car, i just got it this week... here are some of the problems im haveing... (need help)

First whent he car can it didnt run over 30 mph..

Now i cant get it to start with out a jump..

i turn the key and in dont even get a click from the starter nothing.. at all no sounds nothing..

When it runs i cant let it idle or it will shut off..

While im rev'ing to keep the engine on it knocks..

when its driveing around 25 + mphs the steering wheel rattles and shakes so bad i dont even wanna drive it..

I need help im not that smart when it comes to cars, but im learning slowly... any advice or help would be great...

I want to throw a sr20 in it and all the goodies i need to have a daily driver but at the track i wanna run a 13 flat.. or close ro a 13 flat.. thats my dream..

what should i do and wat do i need, shes just collecting dirt and the grass is just growing around her wheels... i dont wanna get rid of her so someone help me please...

Hi 77.

First of all, buy a service manual!! Was this car running when you bought it? If not, you will want to make sure it has fresh fuel, and oil, filters and check water levels. Clean the battery terminals, and charge the battery. Check distributer cap for moisture. Replace the plugs. Check the engine for loose wires and bad vacuum lines. Do not skip these steps! Most problems are simple to repair and will be found doing these checks.

Once this stuff is done,check for spark and check to see if the fuel pump is working. Pull the hose that comes off the fuel filter and see if you have fuel flow when the key is in the start position. Note: disconnect the starter solenoid and have someone turn the key. Be carefull here as lots of fuel will be flowing if its ok. Beware of fire!!

That should get keep you busy for a while.

John D.

First off, re-read your posts before you actually submit them. Second, any details on the car (how long its been sitting, visible damage ect.)

Just from what you said I can only make suggestions.

Jumping the car and not hearing a "click" when trying to crank it over, I would guess that it would be a dead battery, and maybe a bad alternator.

Because of your name (77datsun) I would assume that its fuel injected. Is the issue with speed limited to RPM? Like does it lonly rev up to 3000 or 4000 rpm? If it is, that usually means that the electrical connections from the ecu and other connecters need to be cleaned.

Idle problem would be probably the previous 2 issues and probably the throttle body needs to be adjusted.

By "knocking" do you mean backfiring? boom boom from the exhaust? That means there is too much fuel in the engine. Th actual knocking would be to less fuel and is usually asociated with turbo'd engines.

Vibration from the steering would be 4 things:

wheels and tires aren't ballanced or belt.

Allinement is off

spindle is bent

And/or the brake rotor(s) are bent

As far as engine swaps, I don't recommend it inless you are mechanically and/or electrically inclined or if you are having someone else do the work. Either way its going to take cash. Its just doing it yourself is so much cheaper, but you are more likely to screwup and have no one else to blame :mrgreen:

Guest 77datsun

Alright i got her running thats taken care of.

When i first crank her up and get her going everything thing is fine, but sometimes when i try and drive faster (accelerate quicker) i get a knock that kinda sounds like backfire but i feel it in the whole rear end like its from the tires or something in that area, but the sounds comes from the engine area.. Here is the other part after that knock i cant accel over 25-30mph.. in every gear, i get to about 2500rpms and then it just desends... Mashing the accel pedel dose nothing i can put it to the floor and it will just go back to 2500rpms and nothing.....

280z39pg.th.jpg

280z58nx.th.jpg

280z13qu.th.jpg

The "knocking" sounds like a bad U joint on the drive shaft since you feel it in the back, but hear it in the front.

The RPM/ acceleration sounds like what I mentioned before in the previous post.

I had the same problems when I first got my Z. I did as everyone told me, went through and cleaned all connections and also found myself in some spider webs of wires from the previous owner. Straightend out what I could and also removed, slightly adjusted, regrounded and reinstalled the AFM. Beyond that, the one thing that fixed most of my problem was cutting off the Cat. exhaust, and muffler, now I can get to about 6000-6500 RPM without stalls or backfires. My only problem now is my AFM likes to stick to wide open when I floor it. Is it possible to rebend a bent AFM flap or does the whole unit just need replacing?