HybridZ

Blinkers quit working...help!

HICKL

My blinkers in my 76 won't work at all. They were kind of Intermitent, but now nothing. I tested the blinker switch with a meter and it seems to be functioning perfectly, My flashers work, but no turn signals at all. Do they use a different circuit than the flashers? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Inspection is out and can't get it done.

Thanks

Jeff

My right turn signal suffers from this, in particular when I first put the car on the road in the spring. The high beams don't always work right either.

Radio Shack caries a spray which is a Stereo component cleaner and lube (or something to that effect).

I blast the base of the switch with it in the spring. This usually does the trick. The first time I did it, I took the cover off the steering column to get at it better.

For me, it turned out to be a cheap and easy fix.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the relavent responces are telling you to check the condition of the bulbs, bulb socket, and connection. 30+ year old stuff (wiring and electrical components) tends to have issues (corrosion)!

Tom

Thanks Tom, I have wiggled and jiggled all that stuff, tested the switch itself with a meter and the fact that the flashers work makes me think that the bulbs, and connections at the bulbs must be good. I could be wrong on that but assuming all that is good, it sends me back under the dash and the only thing I can see there that I don't know how to test is the flasher itself. I'm fairly good with electrical and have been beating my head against this for almost a month now. I'm sure it's something simple, just can't freakin find it!

well, just in case none of that works, give some of this a shot:

[/b]:window.close()"]BlinkFluid.jpg

as for testing the flasher, try replacing it with one you know works (like the one for the hazards), and if that doesn't solve the problem, you should test the bulbs (USUALLY a burned out bulb will show signs of discoloration, but not always, so you might have to build a test rig of two wires that you hook to the battery to get them to light up) and inspect the sockets for wear and corrosion. I've seen a lot of the plastic sockets develop some play around the slots that hold the mounting ears of the bulb in them after a long time, which will cause a bulb to not light up consistently. At this point I'm not very clear, are your bulbs lighting, but not blinking, or not coming on at all?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm still fighting this problem. I'm in the process of in-depth troubleshooting but need some help. Would anybody be so kind to check the green wire going to the turn sign flasher and tell me if it has 12 volts going to it with the key on? I know it is a lot to ask as you must lay on your back onder the dash to get to it but I don't know how else to tell.

This problem is kicking my but.

my Z is trapped in a garage 30 miles away, but you should have 12 volts going to it. If you jump the flasher connector... and turn the turn signal indicator, the indicator bulbs for that direction should light up continuously.

[another edit] If you jump the flasher module, and turn the turn signal, and the signal light lights up continuously, then replace the flasher module. Also if they dont, you might be reading the 12v from the emergency flasher module, maybe? not sure, I didn't wire emergency flashers into my harness because I'm a rebel without a clue.

can I try suggesting something? (this applies to my 1/70, maybe not to your 76 with EFI (formerly), but chassis wiring should be similar.)

When you're under the dash, you should see two aluminum cans, 1 inch in diameter, between 1 and 2 inches high. one might be larger than the other, doesn't matter which, they both do the same thing. Doesn't matter if one plugs in a white base, and the other in a black base, as long as they're both two blade flashers.

Since you said your hazard lights work, switch the two aluminum cans, then try the turn indicators. If the turn indicators work, it's the flasher module. If it doesnt work, try turning the hazards on. If the hazards turn on, the flasher module is now known good and you can go to your turn signal switch for troubleshooting.

when I got my Z, a rat chewed out all the wiring. I rewired from scratch so that I could get the car street legal. Now that the engine's out, I'm going to rewire it again because I like chassis wiring. I know that has nothing to do with this, but check for rats, maybe?

(edit) if you don't have 12 volts going to it, check the wiring to the flasher. You can bench test the flasher by using a light bulb and a battery. Hook them up in series and then see if it flashes.

It might be alot easier just to get a new electronic flasher, with the extra loud clicking noise they sell at csk, then plug it in.

Guest CalpolyZ

no one has mentioned this yet but in my 77 the turn signals run through the hazard switch. when i first got my car the turn signals didnt work and it turned out to be the hazard switch was bad. Even though the hazards worked! what i did temporarily was pull the connector from the switch and jumper two wires that would bypass the hazard switch. i remember they were diagonally opposed (like top left to bottom right) or something like that. Check the wiring diagrams in a service manual before trying this so you dont blow a fuse. I know all this sounds confusing but if you dont understand email me and i'll try to walk you through it. The way you describe things i would bet this is your problem.