HybridZ

Sticky synthetic transmission oil

260DET

Wondering what manual gearbox oil would be a reddish mauve/purple colour and sticky, unlike any other oil I've seen. 99% sure its not Redline or Castrol Syntrans, they are more a pure red and not sticky. My thoughts were Royal Purple but I have never knowingly seen that oil.

A sticky gearbox/diff oil could be good in extreme conditions such as racing but then again its stickiness may effectively increase its viscosity, so chewing more power. What do you reckon?

Well I use royal purple gear fluids and it is, what it says it is, purple.

I dont know too much about petroliums, but if its really viscous when cold, does it mean that its still going to be viscous (compared to a not so viscous fluid) when its hot?

Probably Royal Purple, but could also be SWEPCO/ATF mix. My understanding is that this is what BMW uses in their transmissions. The SWEPCO will spider web off of your finger if you dip your finger in it and pull it out really quickly. Porsche guys love SWEPCO which is why I started using it.

As to the effect I think it will eat some power, but that stickiness draws the lube all the way around all the gears. It can be overdone. Someone linked to one of the popular Amsoil sites, I think it was the Bob is the Oil Guy site and he was showing some testing with different oils and some had too much stickiness but the Amsoil had just enough to lubricate everything.

It's not the viscosity either. I can't remember the name for it, but you can buy SWEPCO in an 80-90 and it isn't that thick, just sticky.

Richard,

If you dont know what the fluid is or how long its been in the trans it might not be a bad idea to drain and refill with a "known" lubricant.

It could have some additive added to it like some of the junk displays you see on the counters at auto parts stores.

It might even take two drain and refills to clean the (whatever) out of the trans.

Most top line synthetics do not require any additives other than a differential additive (if needed).

How do these sticky synthetics perform with the syncros? The RB20DET box I have has too slick syncros, particularly third, when using ordinary type oils. I'd like to slow them down a bit, give them a chance to do what they are supposed to do.

So Jon you mix ATF with SWEPCO oil? What ratio of each? I can't get SWEPCO but can get Royal Purple or Amsoil.

My theory is that the Nissan syncros may not grab enough if very slippery oil is used, an most oils seem to be, using sticky oil may slow the shift a bit and so help in avoiding crunchy noises.

I was really happy with Redline MTL in mine a few years back. I since went back to off the shelf gear oil and can't wait to get back to Redline. The Redline really let me shift fast. The standard oil seems to make me wait for the synchs to catch up.

What is the latest Redline Oil spec's for the Datsun transmissions? I want to buy some and cant remember what it was.

Here are the choices:

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?pvID=109&prodID=57&subcatID=18

So Jon you mix ATF with SWEPCO oil? What ratio of each? I can't get SWEPCO but can get Royal Purple or Amsoil.

My theory is that the Nissan syncros may not grab enough if very slippery oil is used' date=' an most oils seem to be, using sticky oil may slow the shift a bit and so help in avoiding crunchy noises.[/quote']

50/50. You can use it straight in transmissions just fine but 80-90 is a bit thick and you can shift faster with the oil thinned out a bit. We always ran it straight for the steel synchro Porsche transmissions when I worked on them.

I don't know if these guys will ship to Oz, but if they (or somebody) did I think it might be worth it. http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/CARE/POR_CARE_swepco_pg2.htm