HybridZ

Got bored, so I cut up my hood.

For all those who didnt care for the spoiler, its off the car now.

I do want people to realize that I didnt pay for it nor did I install it. It came with the car. I used clear silicone to cover the holes till I can get the factory spoiler. Just wanted to pass it along. One thing positive out of the whole removal process is my rear hatch now unlocks when you pull the lever, I guess the spoiler was too heavy.

i know how a cowl hood works.

i was replying to what the other guy.

not all vents on hoods are for letting air out.

and besides if its a street car i doubt that he will be traveling at speeds that will affect the how the car performs or cools.

he was just trying to show his work.

give him a break.

Seriously stop hating on the guy. This is hybrid Z ... for MODIFYING your Z there is not right or wrong way, if he likes it... that's all that matters. Some of you need to think before you type a response. His wing for instance, if he likes it let him keep it.. It's his car. NOT YOURS.

This is why people are afraid of our site, people jump all over thier @sses.

Lighten up guyz it's not your car.

-Ed

MIB, have you driven it like this in heavy rain yet? Seems to me that the entire engine bay would get drenched. (Yes I know, my 280 has hood louvers that let water in, but the one has pan under it to keep much from getting in and the other is positioned over an empty space.) The scoop looks all right though.

This is why people are afraid of our site' date=' people jump all over thier @sses.

Lighten up guyz it's not your car.

-Ed[/quote']

I for one think this is one of the more civilized sites I've come across. There's very little bashing, trash talking and bickering that goes on. Let's try and keep it that way. :)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread....

I for one think this is one of the more civilized sites I've come across. There's very little bashing' date=' trash talking and bickering that goes on. Let's try and keep it that way. :)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread....[/quote']

I guess you haven't posted a frequently asked question then..

I see it all the time. All i'm trying to say here is it's personal expression. What if i said all silver cars were gay cause they are annoying to look at in bright sun? I'd just sound like an idiot. All i'm saying is being a little more positive with your comments like... nice job with a dremel, line is straight and not jagged.

-Ed

Guest ZFury

As for worrying about the rain. I would just check your distributor and ignition coil to make sure they aint getting soaked. The rest of the connections are low voltage and for the most part sealed. I dont think you would have probs with the battery. Looks far enough away from the cut. Thats my opinion. The motor is made to withstand some wetness.

nice job with a dremel, line is straight and not jagged.

Thats what I was thinking. Better than i could do without building some elaborate jig to ensure a straight cut.

I'm not jumping in on the whole cowl induction idea, because the name says it all. INDUCTION. You move to criticize a drawing of how it works but for your end of the arguement you dont even offer that much. You just say "Well, it works the way I think it does!".

As to the scoop itself, really, who cares. It looks good, was cleanly done and will have no real effect on the car outside of perhaps, a slight increase in lift and high speeds that would only really matter if he were racing the car in a serious enviroment.

Some things are done because they make the car look better. Thats it. Why spend the money on a nice paint job? Why shave the side marker lights or add non-functional body mods such as fender flares (speaking from the point of veiw of their aesthetic value, I know they allow wider tires). Why tint your windows? In the world of street cars, some trade-offs will always be made for a better appearance or increase in general appeal. I for one add a very large, very loud stereo to anything and everything I drive. It adds weight and serves no purpose in the realm of performance, but by god, I like it.

I like it, but i'm with bartman on this one. reversing the bend would make a little more sense...

but if you already did it and you like it, who cares what other people think?!

Everyone tells me to put a bumper on my car... am I going to do it?! no! because thats the look I like. hatorz

Just wanted to add some info on what happens at the cowl area on the S30.

Think about the fresh air inlets that (on most cars) are in the cowl panel.

Look at a Nascar, their air inlet is at or in the cowl area for the air intake.

If there is a whole in the cowl or surrounging area, its going to suck in air at speed.

For my example, note my cowl area in the pic below

Zfrt-01.jpg

You will note I closed off the center and driver side vent openings in the cowl panel.

I wanted to clean up this area in hopes of having more of the turbulant air go up and over the windshield.

The heater unit has been removed and the pass side vent was left in place so some fresh air could still enter the cockpit.

At 25 mph and higher there is a full flow of air being sucked into the cockpit.

More details of the cowl panel mod can be seen at the link below.

http://24.254.252.164:9565/ZCar.htm

Try the ribon or string test yourself and see what happens with the air moving over the hood up to the windshield.

this is correct, the air actually bounces off the windshield to go into the cowl believe it or not. Atleast it did on the old muscle cars. So the cowl hoods on ours prolly are more for disiaption heat as they more than likely arn't close enough to the windshield to get the reverse air, but they might.

-Ed

Sorry, I haven't got back to this thread until now...

The leading edges of the car are high pressure zones, and the air will flow to low pressure zones. Someone made some replacement covers for the original bonnet vents that were basically reverse cowls, and discovered air flowed into the engine bay at speed rather than out. Radiators rely mostly of the pressure differential to cause air to flow through the core, and because the core causes a restriction in airflow, there is quite a reduction in air pressure in the engine bay - as long as the radiator splash tray on the 240 is fitted, and with the 260/280 the rad support panel is low enough to block airflow. All this means is that if you cut holes in the bonnet in a high-pressure area, the air WILL flow into the engine bay. Proper bonnet vents have a raised section at the front to cause a low pressure zone over the hole, which sucks air OUT of the engine bay. Re. WRX - it has an intercooler to provide flow restriction, so it flows a lot less air than an open hole.

Yes - the engine will still be cooled by the fan, but now the fan will be doing all of the work as it doesn't have the pressure differential across the radiator to cause airflow.

Guest manntis
funny how it's just a drawing that shows air scooping in from behind and not where the air will really go (which is off the windshield and over the car).

Not quite.

In general, a road car experiences high pressure at the leading edge of the hood, then negative pressure at the middle of the hood, followed by another high pressure pocket at the base of the windshield. It seems counterintuitive, but it's because as the car punches through the air the air strikes the leading edge and is deflected up and over the middle of the hood, not along the hood in a laminar flow. It then is directed back down to the hood by the air above it resisting its upward motion, and descends to strike the hood again at the base of the windshield and builds up a high pressure pocket. As it attempts to rise up over the windshield the air already occupying that space pushes back.

Placing a vent in the middle of the hood is an effective way of exhausting hot air from behind the radiator instead of washing that hot air over the engine, making the coolant system work harder, and exhausting an ugly air flow underneath the car. Part of this is due to the negative pressure at that point of the hood 'scavenging' or drawing the air out through the vent, rather than the air pushing itself out through the vent as many assume.

Placing an induction vent at the base of the windshield, facing backwards, is a very effective way of using the car's own aerodynamics to force cool, clean air into the engine bay while reducing drag by bleeding off that pressure pushing against the windshield base and halping to hold the car back.

from wikipedia:

To be effective, a functional scoop must be located at a high-pressure area on the hood. For that reason, some functional scoops are located at the rear of the hood, near the vehicle's cowl, where the curvature of the windshield creates such a high-pressure zone, and may be placed so that their opening faces the windshield (a reversed scoop).

Of course this is for road cars which tend to be boxy. F1 cars and other specialized race vehicles have a far better laminar flow.

MIB, have you driven it like this in heavy rain yet? Seems to me that the entire engine bay would get drenched. (Yes I know, my 280 has hood louvers that let water in, but the one has pan under it to keep much from getting in and the other is positioned over an empty space.) The scoop looks all right though.

These engines put out some heat I tell you, I drove through some really bad down pours this week. Didnt have any problems.

you can find stock spoilers for pretty cheep in junk yards, I found one and the guy only wanted $30, still didn't buy it though.

Hey Alf, I stopped by my local pick n pull yard, and I found an OEM spoiler in excellent condition, along with some other parts I needed. I went to the counter and laid everything down, the spoiler was upside down, with my other parts on top of it (gas door cable, TPsensor, etc.) she rang it up as a body moulding and I got it for 9.00! with the bolts, and the missing trim pieces for the hatch I got for free. :D

I got the TP sensor for 14.00

I got the cable for 7.00

I got the spoiler for 9.00

I put it on right in the parking lot, looks real nice, will have to post the final pics next week.