HybridZ

Got bored, so I cut up my hood.

I started out with my cordless dremmel and used the non ceramic cutting discs, which took for ever. I also realize I wish I bought a corded one...it doesnt take long to lose charge at top speed. Once I got it cut I realized that the supports underneath were still attached so I used my Sawzall and cut them and "reshaped the supports underneath. I used 4 screws to mount the new flap to the massaged supports underneath...:)

2272864_7_full.jpg

The hood needed work anyways since the clearcoat on my car is peeling on the top panels.

Great - now you have created a new air inlet which increases the air pressure in the engine bay and reduces airflow through the radiator. Large vents in bonnets are supposed to let air OUT, not in.

so what a cowl INDUCTION hood for?

looks good!

Guest 280ZForce
so what a cowl INDUCTION hood for?

looks good!

if you notice cowl induction hoods have the scoop facing the windshield that let the forced air that comes throught front and underneath of the car out and uses it for aerodynamics and also for disposal of heat. the cowl hoods dont have inlets, they have outlets for that reason.

hood vents and cowls are supposed to let out heat and trapped air not let it in. thats why you always see the scoops facing back towards the windshield or the vent grills slanted that directs the air backwards.

Just wondering, but do they not sell any cars in Australia with hood scoops? I see your point but I dont think its the definitive answer. There are 2 different styles of hood scoops for cars. Some in the front, some in the back. So based on what you have said, Ford mustangs, Subaru WRX's and the list goes on and on, all of the engineers got it all wrong when the pointed their holes to the front? Why did Nissan use a scoop that pointed to the front on the Turbo 300zx? I havent seen any difference in the temp gauge from before or after, nor have I seen any difference in speed either.:icon55:

Guest 280ZForce
Just wondering, but do they not sell any cars in Australia with hood scoops? I see your point but I dont think its the definitive answer. There are 2 different styles of hood scoops for cars. Some in the front, some in the back. So based on what you have said, Ford mustangs, Subaru WRX's and the list goes on and on, all of the engineers got it all wrong when the pointed their holes to the front? Why did Nissan use a scoop that pointed to the front on the Turbo 300zx? I havent seen any difference in the temp gauge from before or after, nor have I seen any difference in speed either.:icon55:

if u take notice...the WRX, the scoop goes directly to the top mount intercooler.

The mustang....the ones w/ functional hood scoops like the mach 1, cobra, etc ...the hood scoop is not part of the hood, it is their air intake which does straight into the motor (think of it as a carbuerator on a v8). you open there hood and there is a hole in the hood in which that ram induction sits at.

any hood scoops or air inducted scoops on hoods usually go straight to the intake or intercooler. the zx was to allow air in to cool the turbo, but had outward facing vents right after it to let air out as well.

If you look at both of those pictures, the scoops are placed behind the radiator, so the effect they have on aiflow through the nose is negligible. The air that is scooped is already well past the point of being useful, and would have gone over the car if not redirected into the engine compartment. I don't think you'll be able to notice a difference, though theoretically you have increased the amount of lift. I personally think it looks pretty good, which is the point of most scoops out there anyways.

i know how a cowl hood works.

i was replying to what the other guy.

not all vents on hoods are for letting air out.

and besides if its a street car i doubt that he will be traveling at speeds that will affect the how the car performs or cools.

he was just trying to show his work.

give him a break.

Actually, cowl induction hoods do exactly what they say - induct air from the high pressure area in front of the windshield into the engine.

If you will take the time to peruse pictures of some factory cowl inducted cars, the cowl is sealed to the air cleaner, not letting any of the air into the engine bay itself.

If you think that a cowl induction hood lets air vent from the engine compartment at high speed you may be sadly mistaken. at low speeds it will surely vent air out, but once at speed that high pressure area takes over and will provide more front end lift.

One might also say that if the upper part of the hood doesn't come close enough to the windshield, you lose a bit of the high pressure feed to it.

My suggestion to anyone who wants a cowl induction hood would be to seal if to the carbs/air intake and not count on it to vent the air flowing through the radiator. Cust some holes in the inner fenders for venting that hot air....

I second b sosick, lose the wing.

But I also second Austenp405, the scoop looks good. And if you are not planning on racing the car, then who cares if it affects lift and downforce a little.

You shouldn't notice much of a difference in performance or handling for a street car. If you are going to race it though, then that scoop is a bad idea unless you have something like a small block chevy with an air filter directly behind the hole.

if you notice cowl induction hoods have the scoop facing the windshield that let the forced air that comes throught front and underneath of the car out and uses it for aerodynamics and also for disposal of heat. the cowl hoods dont have inlets' date=' they have outlets for that reason.

hood vents and cowls are supposed to let out heat and trapped air not let it in. thats why you always see the scoops facing back towards the windshield or the vent grills slanted that directs the air backwards.[/quote']

if you notice, well I did, I googled "cowl induction hood theory" and found this info...

http://www.camaro-untoldsecrets.com/articles/rpo_zl2.htm

hood1.jpg

hood6.jpg

The theory is that with a cowl induction scoop, it is for cold air to get into the specially designed air cleaner, not to let air out. This was a pretty good read too...

Sadly, if I had the money to pick up the factory spoiler, I would take it off, but right now, its bolted through the lid, so I would rather leave it until then. I think it would look better if I had the missing stainless steel splitters that screw into the sides, but hey, I bought the car for $600 and it runs. Some people like it some dont, I know. Right now I would rather fix my ttop leak then replace the spoiler.

Personally I think it would be better if it was reversed so that it was bent down in the back and cut in the front...something like what blueovalz did on his car. That would be similar to the look you are after, but would provide the beneficial venting.

If your just after something different and don't care whether it improves airodynamics or not then you can just disregard everyone else's comments (including mine). Ultimately it just needs to make you happy.

Guest 280ZForce

funny how it's just a drawing that shows air scooping in from behind and not where the air will really go (which is off the windshield and over the car).

u would think that in a foward motion the air is going to hit the windshield and naturally be deflected up cuz of the angle on it, not downwards in the cowl.

i see it more as the cowl releases the air flow that is passin through the front thus letting more cool air flow through the air filter because the air is let in from the bumper, grill, etc and the passing air will allow the heat to rise and exit out the cowl. hot air will escape out the cowl and therefore keeping a more cool and consist airflow and providing downforce as well cuz it takes the low air flow from the front and directs it out over the car. because w/out the cowl, the hot air is trapped w/ no escape and is recycled around the engine bay increasing engine temps and less power due to that fact.

not tryin to argue or anything...just tryin to understand and find the facts here as well. your cut up hood does look better than stock for appearance. it that's what you are looking for...then you are set.

Cool looking scoop, I don't know if it will help, but its cool looking. The ZL2 scoop on the 69 Camaro is a functional air inlet, not outlet. I have the ZL2 cowl induction hood on my 69 Camaro and I have witnessed it work as advertised. When I drive the car in the rain (not intentionally) the low pressure area at the bottom of the windsheild causes water to be sucked up the hood towards the windsheild, then when it reaches the end of the hood it gets sucked right under into the cowl hood. For the record I don't have the correct air cleaner for my car, so it is not sealed to the bottom of the hood like it is supposed to be. This proves that even without the seal, a rearward facing scoop does not vent engine heat. MIBPreacher, you can find stock spoilers for pretty cheep in junk yards, I found one and the guy only wanted $30, still didn't buy it though.

Guest ZFury

I like the cut hood, it should provide cooling on that intake collector. With a little fibreglass and bondo you could really get it looking great. The stock turbo scoop wasnt one of those that provided sucktion to remove heat. It was just a little scoop that threw out side air down on the turbo.

If you really want to see how air flow acts on the windshield, take some tape and some package ribbon, cut it into 4 inch long pieces and tape it to the windshield uniformly in horizontal lines across separated by about 4 inches going from bottom to top and side to side. Then take it for a drive, you'll be suprised to see what happens at about 35mph.