HybridZ

vg30de in a 280zx

wreckedj30

hello i have a vg30de from a j30 that i wrecked, anyways i want to swap it in the question has been asked but i can't find any anwsers. So what mods. do i need to do to the car. The reason i want this engine is ok gas milage and i need to smoke the crap out of a chevy truck. the 280zx is a turbo but doesn't run i figure the car is lighter and more areodynamic so i think i'll win. i live in a small town were rich kids get anything they want. He has the fastest thing around so i need to show him up.can anyone help me i need to complete this project and show up the preppy kids. Thanks.

the DE will fit with just some custom mounting/wiring, but i if you wanted to go with DET, then you have to modify the hell outa the steering system, your gonna have some clearance issues with the hood, but you can cut away a small portion of the crossmember so it fits snugly, its not easy, but a cool swap that not very many people try.

The VG30de isnt the most powerful engine around and its heavy as hell. I could maybe see the gas mileage but if you are looking to beat the fastest truck in your town you are most likely going to need more than that. I would honestly go with a small block chevy. If built mild enough the gas mileage is on par with the VG30de and you could build it to run off low octane gas, where the VG30de requires premium. So my answer, very mild built small block or get your engine running and strap some giggle gas on it.

Hold on ...

i mean whatever floats your boat ... a VG would fit.. but you have a l28et witch even in stock block form with adition of an good IC bigger injectors, and MSS and some smalle stuff can get close the 300 horses!!

good luck getting those from a DE

i would advise to get it running!

As said, the DE is a heavy lump and not worth the trouble. But the DET is a different proposition, I'm in the process of fitting one to my ZX coupe equipped with a GT35R turbo and expect 500+hp at the wheels. Its a lot of work and involves a fair bit of skill to do.

As Frank indicated, the L28T may be the go for you.

• 2 months later...

theres a vg30et from a z31 into a 280z, but i think you would have to go with a custom steering shaft and custom manifold that would place the turbo, either back, or up, but it is possible if you have the time to fabricate the custom parts.