HybridZ

Motor Swap

ZDrifter

That would be great if i can get more info on the rb alexideways. i have a update...i ordered my rb25 last monday from venus and they estimate it'd be here by this wednesday i cant wait! I started pulling out my l28 yesterday but am halted a little bit, moved my car a couple feet in the shop to make more room and snapped a brand new u-joint. and on top of that woke up with a sore throat the next morning and found out i have taunselitous and maybe a case of mono, great huh! but it isnt stopping me, i worked on it today and will hopefully have it out by tomorrow. by the way my friend just bought a 2004 VW R32 and wow that thing is quick....he is the one helping me with the swap. i will hopefully get some pics up when i start fitting the motor in and making mounts. Anyone have any suggestions for ordering the oil pan and sump? My plan was to order from nismoparts but if anyone can get me a better deal that'd be great!

Call Nismoparts and ask for Shea, tell him that "Q" sent you. He's the best deal around for that kind of stuff.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks 240z_Master, i got the l28 out today, pretty eazy if i say so myself. I was just gonna go at it and start disconnecting but i have a full original manual for the car so i just took the step by step process that it gives you for pulling out the motor and it went really smooth. I was kinda pissed that my spicer u-joint snapped after a couple weeks tho, not even hard driving either. I also found out when taking off my driveline that 2 out of the four nuts were sitting on the bolt loose. Good thing i find that out now...Well i expect the motor here soon so i will keep you guys posted, thanks for all the help. Had one more quick question for now, i know its a lil soon for this but what is your guys' recomendation for exhaust, ive seen both 2.5" and 3", whats best to go with when having a stock rb25 with cold air and intercooler? i will also have boost controller so i will be running higher boost.

Thanks 240z_Master, i got the l28 out today, pretty eazy if i say so myself. I was just gonna go at it and start disconnecting but i have a full original manual for the car so i just took the step by step process that it gives you for pulling out the motor and it went really smooth. I was kinda pissed that my spicer u-joint snapped after a couple weeks tho, not even hard driving either. I also found out when taking off my driveline that 2 out of the four nuts were sitting on the bolt loose. Good thing i find that out now...Well i expect the motor here soon so i will keep you guys posted, thanks for all the help. Had one more quick question for now, i know its a lil soon for this but what is your guys' recomendation for exhaust, ive seen both 2.5" and 3", whats best to go with when having a stock rb25 with cold air and intercooler? i will also have boost controller so i will be running higher boost.

You could go either way on the exhaust, but most guys will probably say 3". I'm going to tune my car on the current 2.5" setup on my car, but after my big turbo comes into play, that whole setup is going to change to 3".

Alright so i got a call from the shipping and recieving guy at my work this morning and my motor came in! Looks pretty damn good if you ask me. So i got it back to my house and got it all unwrapped like a new present. Everything looks pretty good except the oil filter is dented. Not a big problem since its being changed anyways but better that dented than anything else. I was happy to see all the motor and tranny mounts were there so i can use them to fab em up.

I had a question about fuel delivery...Ive been reading that the bosch 255 fuel pump is a good one to go with but will there need to be any modification needed to the fuel lines for better fuel delivery and also i think i might go with a fuel cell since my work does business with fuel safe so i think i can get a discount.

This week or this weekend i plan on fitting the motor. I will try to get pics of what ill be doing. I contacted Shea today at Nismo and he hooked me up so thanks for that one 240z_master. Hopefully have the pan and sump by the end of the week since nismo parts is 2 hours away from me.

Alright so i got a call from the shipping and recieving guy at my work this morning and my motor came in! Looks pretty damn good if you ask me. So i got it back to my house and got it all unwrapped like a new present. Everything looks pretty good except the oil filter is dented. Not a big problem since its being changed anyways but better that dented than anything else. I was happy to see all the motor and tranny mounts were there so i can use them to fab em up.

I had a question about fuel delivery...Ive been reading that the bosch 255 fuel pump is a good one to go with but will there need to be any modification needed to the fuel lines for better fuel delivery and also i think i might go with a fuel cell since my work does business with fuel safe so i think i can get a discount.

This week or this weekend i plan on fitting the motor. I will try to get pics of what ill be doing. I contacted Shea today at Nismo and he hooked me up so thanks for that one 240z_master. Hopefully have the pan and sump by the end of the week since nismo parts is 2 hours away from me.

Just get it shipped, oh yeah, get some oil filters from Shea too... part number is uh... xxxxx-55Y00. I forgot it. As Shea for the "55 Yo" Oil filter and he'll know exactly what you're talking about.

Sounds good, thanks for the help can i ask you how you went about the driveline? did the driveline come with your swap? i was planning on looking for a TT300zx driveline and then have the two ends cut and a custom shaft made

I went to Powertrain Industries...

When you mock up the tranny, put the car on level ground and measure the distance between the face of the diff flange to the transmission seal.

Tell them that measurement, tell them one end is a 300ZX TT (30 Spline) and telll them what car the diff came out of and they can usually make it spot on. At least for me they did.

Sounds good thanks for the info, i ordered my pan and sump along with some oil filters today so they should be here by friday ready for me to put my motor in. After that its measuring for the driveline and Im going in monday for some prices. Should be around $200 is what i was quoted a couple months ago for custom driveline, so we'll see what happens. Im hopefully going to try and fire up the motor this weekend just to make sure it runs before i do anything major and fire it up later to find out it doesnt run...

Sounds good thanks for the info, i ordered my pan and sump along with some oil filters today so they should be here by friday ready for me to put my motor in. After that its measuring for the driveline and Im going in monday for some prices. Should be around $200 is what i was quoted a couple months ago for custom driveline, so we'll see what happens. Im hopefully going to try and fire up the motor this weekend just to make sure it runs before i do anything major and fire it up later to find out it doesnt run...

Good luck, that's the plan, but hard to say, if the motor isn't in, you're not going to get that thing fired up by the weekend.

Yea thats true i plan on working my *** off to get it in tho since during the week i work a 10 hour shift 3:30-2:00 and i wake up around 11:00 so i dont have a lot of time to play with but i get fridays off!

Unless your wiring skills are that good, you might, but the driveshaft, fuel lines, fuel pump, tranny, clutch, pan...

Seriously... don't rush it, you'll end up forgetting something and f*cking up your motor. Think in your head if its worth it to slap it all together to drive it for 5 minutes then blow it up. :-|:ugg:

I kno what you mean but i wasnt planning on having it full on running. I just meant making sure it turns over and if it runs for a couple seconds then that will make me happy. My wiring skills are only at a minimal, so im having a friend of mine work on it for me and hopefully ill learn something from it, hes putting a rb20 in his 240 so he needs to figure some stuff out anyways.

Did you get the full harness with ECU? If so, you should be able to handle it with help from these guys....

Sounds like your on your way to having your RB Z monster running way before I do... I'm envious. Make sure to take lots of pics and post them up here for all us RBr's to drool over... :mrgreen:

Yes i did get the ECU and full harness with the swap. I have a professional coming over to my house who i have made friends with because of the swap and he said he'll help me out with it, always good to have connections. Thanks for the tip for the exhaust i will see what my options are later on. As for the tranny mount I havent set the motor in so i dont know whats its goin to be like quite yet but i assume i will cut out the original mount and make some changes to it. I have searched around on this topic and seems like it definitly needs modification so i will take pics with whatever i do. I want to get this swap done fast so I can have something to drive but Im definitly going to do it right so thanks for all the help and hopefully i provide some to others myself.

Alright so the weekend has come and gone. I accomplished almost all of what i wanted so i am happy with what came together. I got the oil pan switched, tranny mounts cut, tranny mounted to motor, and motor put in the car and mounted except for the tranny mount. I am very happy with how the motor is sitting, low and as far back as possible leaving the shifter position right in the middle of the usual spot. I have pictures for you guys for the motor mounts and when i get the tranny mounts made i will put them up. Motor mounts still need to be cleaned up a little and painted so they dont rust but turned out pretty good. little help with posting the pics in here?

So I have ran into my first problem, for the tranny mount i made a piece of square tubing to go across the tranny mount place and then two pieces on each end on top for better placing for the mounts on the tranny tunnel. Well my tranny tunnel isnt flat enough to weld/bolt tranny mounts onto it. I have looked at other transmission mounts and noticed there tunnels are a lot straiter then mine so im kind of at a loss. on the passenger side it is perfect for me to place my mount, but on the drivers side its not level at all and only 3 of the 4 corners will lay flat on the tunnel i can take pics tomorrow but does anyone have any ideas for me? im at a loss..... but as for other things wiring starts tomorrow how fun!!! and i got my pay check so its time for more goodies like a driveline, but not until my tranny is bolted up.