HybridZ

FI Harness Removal ?

TBK

Yes, The FI harness is totally independent of the rest of the cars wiring, although you may have to cut off the loom to seperate the water temp wire from the thermo time & cyl. head temp wires. Atleast thats what I had to do.

• 7 months later...

I disconnected the complete FI wiring harness on my 76 280Z yesterday from the engine. I removed the ECU and disconnected the 2 FI relay plugs under the dash and found 2 more connections,

1. is a 6 connector plug (C12 type I think) with only 4 wires attached, Leaving the connector are the following colored wires:

White with a Red stripe

Black with a White stripe

Black with a Vellow stripe

Green with a Blue stripe

On the mating connector comng from the FI harness are 2 White and 2 blue wires.

I think I need to use these connections, what are they for anybody know?

I tried to find them in the Hayes manual and seem to think they are the connector shown on the very bottom right corner of the page 1 diagram but My manual has it as 2 green and 2 white wires?? I tried to find the mate on page 2 but couldn't find any 6 contact connector with those colored wires coming out of it.

2. Is a single clip connector with a Blue wire, the mating connector from the FI harness is a White wire. Again I think this is the single connector shown on page 1 in the bottom right hand corner of the diagram but couldn't find it's mate on page 2?

Besides loosing my eyesight and using a huge magnifier, some of the text especially wire colors is not readible on the Hayes manual.

Anybody have a real color wiring diagram of a 76 280Z that is readable?

One last question:

Will the connectors fit through the hole in the firewall? It must I would think as they did not terminate the harness in the car when it was built did they?

Any tricks to stuffing it back out through the hole, I am assuming that it is pulled back into the engine bay. So gently cut and remove the glued on grommet on the firewall and pull/stuff the FI harness, connector, and relay connectors back through the hole?? this will fit?? I don't want to cut the FI harness If I don't have to.

I'll start on the other side wiring harness later this week, I am sure I will have questions there as I know I have to un tape this one.

Thanks,

Greg

The connectors will fit through the hole. You have to juggle it a little, passing one connector at a time through, but it will go. Like mentioned earlier in this thread, the fuel injection harness is a whole sepperate harness and if the fuel injection is no longer being used, it (the FI harness) can be removed with out effecting anything else. The other connectors under the dash are for various other inputs the ECU uses to compute the correct fuel mixture. One is for the signal for the RPMs from the ignition module. There is also a switch on the gas pedal although this may be only on automatic models. Once it's out PM me if you feel like selling it. I'll buy the AFM, ECU and the harness.

I second that suggestion: Line up the big AMP connector from the ECU, and pull the harness INTO the ENGINE BAY, not the other way 'round! Far easier, and the AMP connector will fit nicely through the hole.

Go to your local home depot, and find a stanless steel "Conduit knockout plug" lay a small bead of hi-temp red silicone around the outside edge, and stick it in the hole---plugged sanitarily, and FIRESAFE!

Thanks for the hints guys, Yeah I figured I would have to pull it back into the engine bay as I don't think the connector for the AFM would fit throught the whole, I will probably have to cut back some of the tape on the very end of the harness to free up the FI relay harness a little more from the ECU harness to pull them through seperately. I will take pictures tonight of the wiring and the pull, I an still concerned about those two plugs though, looking at the cheesy Chiltons and Haynes manuals I have the colors just don't match up. I think that one plug that is not either of the two FI relay plug is a major Ignition connector? Some have it as the switched and non switched 12 volt source but MY colors don't match up?

Thanks,

Greg

Well I did have to slice the tape down by the FI relay connectors because I couldn't feed them through the hole intact. Once I sliced about 6" of tape off and seperated the two relay plugs I was able to feed them through the hole one at a time and everything pulled through easily.

My questions on the Ignition plug still stand if anybody knows.

I will post some more pics and more details on the wiring including wire #'s

later today whe I get a chance.

I didn't realize that the power feed from the battery through the fuseable links to the ECU ran through this harness as well. What starts out as 2 large red wires for Battery + and - become a big splice within the harness to smaller gauge blue wires feeding the ECU and the FI relays. I am sure I am going to have to run new wires from the Ignition plug to the battery and figure out what and where I connect the fuel pump relay to, which I am assuming at this time is under the passenger seat?

Thanks,

Greg

Here are the pics, the first three pictures shows the Ignition connector from various angles.

The White/Red wire mated to the Blue #73 wire from the FI harness

The Black/Yellow wire mated to the White #76 wire from the FI harness

The Black/White wire mated to the White #71 wire from the FI harness

The Blue/Green wire mated to the Blue #74 wire from the FI harness

The 4th and 5th picture show the single connector from the FI harness with the White #1 wire mating to a Blue wire.

My 78 and 77 wiring diagrams don't match these colors up, I can't read the 76 diagram too well as it is too small. The 280Z is a 76 model.

I got a feeling I am going to need to make some connectins to these two plugs but can't tell what is what. I don't need the FI relays anymore correct?

What I can tell is that the Black/White wire was + power to one of the relay coils? the other ones I am not sure, do I need to run power from the battery to these conectors? I suppose I can re-hook the battery up and see if I have any voltage present.

Do I need to run a wire to the fuel pump now that the FI relay is gone?

DSCN1330s_thumb.jpg

DSCN1331s_thumb.jpg

DSCN1332s_thumb.jpg

DSCN1334s_thumb.jpg

DSCN1333s_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Has any one ever wired a 78 FI harness in an earlier year? I instaled the FI harness in my 75.. Were the harness gose to the battery there is a female plug and a relay..The car I took the harness had a male plug by the battery but I did'nt check if they were power or ground...Its a blue wire and a red wire..???