JustinOlson

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Justin,

Hey... I just sent you payment for 2 intake flanges...

I'd also like the plenum base, but wasn't sure how much to send ... please let me know and I'll send it asap.

Additionally, I'd like to begin collecting the other parts required to complete the manifold... do you have a source for the velocity stacks and the other bits that were shown in the diagrams?

Thanks

Ken

The plenum base has integrated velocity stacks so theres no need to use those expensive pieces from Ross Machining. I've used Ross Machining velocity stacks in the past, and they work well, but require more cylinder spacing then the L28 affords.

Thanks for the Payment KJones. I will talk to the machinist hopefully tomorrow and get a final price on the plenum base. I've had a hard time catching him lately. I will post a shopping list for those building these manifolds.

Regards,

Justin

The plenum bases with machined in velocity stacks are $75. So a deposit on these would be $37.50 through check or Paypal on these would be $38.81.

The machinist is going to work on the tool paths for the mastercam files. He is trying to finish those up this week. Hopefully we can have a prototype by the end of the month for both the plenum base and cylinder head flange.

Regards,

Justin

We are doing good. We have 6 orders with deposits down for the intake flange and plenum base. I've put this project ahead off all of my others with this machinist to try and expedite the process.

Regards,

Justin

Pre Order List:

1. Vintage-TechZ (intake flange & plenum base) Deposit Paid

2. 240Z_478 (intake flange & plenum base) Deposit Paid

3. 340ZXTTAZ (intake flange) Desposit Paid

4. 340ZXTTAZ (intake flange) Deposit Paid

5. Kenneth Jones (ntake flange & plenum base) Deposit Paid

6. Kenneth Jones (ntake flange & plenum base) Deposit Paid

• 2 weeks later...
I was looking at the model of the manifold last night. The current plenum configuration as seen is setup for upto 75mm throttle bodies. You could easly make it work with a Q45 (90mm) throttle body if you wanted. I personally don't think these motors really are going to see any restriction with a 65-75mm throttle body.

Regards,

Justin

I am really interested in ordering one of these also.

As the manifold is setup will the throttle bodies bolt as they did on the original manifolds?

• Administrators

As the manifold is setup will the throttle bodies bolt as they did on the original manifolds?

As Justin has it drawn, its wide open for any type of flange.

I built a Ford Crown Vic. flange, at 65mm. Bolts on in a similar fashion to OE (vertically oriented throttle shaft, though)....

ManB.jpg

Keep in mind, one of the things that make this manifold work is the TB size. Not from a CFM perspective, rather an emphasis on a smooth transition from the TB to the inner walls of the plenum.

• Administrators

I can't speak for Justin, but there is a possibility that I will make a few, with some minor cosmetic and performance enhancements.

Here's the catch... they won't be inexpensive. To be profitable, $1200 to $1300 is looking like a realistic figure. Still game?

Ron, that is a thing of beauty!

I am curious that the intake filter is inside the engine compartment where it will take in warm air. Is the benefit of cold air offset by it having to pass through a few feet of tubing? Just curious.

Here's the catch... they won't be inexpensive. To be profitable, $1200 to $1300 is looking like a realistic figure. Still game?
I hate to say this, but for me the answer is probably no. Not because I don't think it's worth it (I do), but for my moderately-built N/A L28 it's unlikely I would gain enough benefit to justify the cost.

• Administrators

I am curious that the intake filter is inside the engine compartment where it will take in warm air. Is the benefit of cold air offset by it having to pass through a few feet of tubing?

You are correct, a better option would be a cold air intake. There are a couple reasons this car was done this way. If you'll notice, the engine compartment has been completely smoothed and painted. The removal of the AFM leaves an unattractive bracket. Due to time constraints and this car being a show car first, it was done this way, in part to hide the bracket (sits directly under the filter). Next winter's project is to relocate the battery, remove all excess bracketry, and re-spray the compartment.

I hate to say this, but for me the answer is probably no. Not because I don't think it's worth it (I do), but for my moderately-built N/A L28 it's unlikely I would gain enough benefit to justify the cost.

I might argue that, depending on where your 'at' right now. If you are currently injected and using an OE manifold, you'll notice power dropping off pretty seriously by 5500 rpm. The manifold is the leading contributor. Runners are *tiny*. Even on a bone stock L28, this manifold would wake up the top end. A couple 'gotcha's'... you will need some sort of programmable EMS as the factory L-jet would be 'lost'. Valves *will* float with stock springs. Right now, this motor, with a mild cam and matching springs, is pulling to 7300rpm... where its beginning to float valves. This manifold wants to spin! See where I'm going with this?... the issue will become one of mechanical limitations. If you address those, even on a stock cam and head, I believe there is plenty of room to justify a manifold upgrade.

Just my dos pesos.