HybridZ

L28 custom intake flange

JustinOlson

Here is what I'm building for my L28 manifold. I wasn't unable to source a thick walled (0.125") bends for the leading edge of the plenum. I've used straight tubing instead.

l28assybuild1li4.jpg

l28assybuild2zl8.jpg

l28assybuild3ag7.jpg

l28assybuild4mu1.jpg

You can source the hemisphere for the end of the plenum from here:

http://www.sharpeproducts.com/ball_hemispheres.htm

Regards,

Justin

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MONZTER ran the above manifold in COSMOSFloWorks for me. Huge thanks to him for taking the time to run my design!!! It takes a lot of computing time to run these. I really appreciate it.

I'm going to take some time and try and figure out what I should change based on these results.

Pressure:

pressuremo2.jpg

Velocity:

velocityog2.jpg

Regards,

Justin

The manifold was run at 25" h20 I believe.

I'm working on an alternative design using large radius thick walled mandrel bends.

Justin

Yep, for now just ran it 25" all runners one time. Once we get this pretty close we will run it again one runner at a time. (takes 6 times as long) and then under boost, (18psi) and somewhere around 700cfm. or whatever Justin wants it run at :-P

Step by step.

lookin great!!!

Justin... do you have a good source for the 0.125" 6061 sheet metal & 3/4" 3" 11GA Aluminum tubing?

I'm about to order the rest... I couldn't find that stuff on either of those 2 websites

I can mail you the little big of 3" tubing you'd need to space up the end.

For the flat sheet, you can find it online at onlinemetals.com or a number of other places. I just get it locally from my sheetmetal shop.

Regards,

Justin

lookin great!!!

Justin... do you have a good source for the 0.125" 6061 sheet metal & 3/4" 3" 11GA Aluminum tubing?

I'm about to order the rest... I couldn't find that stuff on either of those 2 websites

I ordered the bends, and have been looking for the tubing and sheet aluminum... so far I can only find large peices or 20 foot sections of tubing...

One quick question... I can visualize how all of the peices go together with the exception of the hemisphere peice.... where does that go? Couldn't we make the end by cutting a section out of a 90 degree mandrel bend?

I have 4 feet of the 3" 11GA tubing here. I can cut you off a couple inches and send it in the mail if you cover postage.

The hemisphere goes on the end. It is cut in half so you use a 1/4 of a sphere essentially. I guess you could use a 90degree bend but I have not seen them in a tight enough radius with 0.125" wall thickness.

Justin

I ordered the bends, and have been looking for the tubing and sheet aluminum... so far I can only find large peices or 20 foot sections of tubing...

One quick question... I can visualize how all of the peices go together with the exception of the hemisphere peice.... where does that go? Couldn't we make the end by cutting a section out of a 90 degree mandrel bend?

ok... couple more questions...

The site that is listed to purchase the hemisphere's requires a $25 minimum... The hemispheres are listed as $5 each... I can order 5 or more if people need them... Let me know and I'll wait to order them until I hear back from everyone... I don't mind shipping them if people need a few...

Last question... With your flow analysis, what length runners have yieded the best results? I seem to remember that 6" runners on previous manifolds seemed to be a good "happy medium" and resulted in fairly good low end torque with good HP numbers

Do we have a source for the material for the runners?

Both of my manifolds will be used on turbo motors...

Jason... as far as your offer on the tubing, that sounds good.... maybe we can do a swap if I order the hemispheres?

I ordered a little over $25 work of hemispheres and they doubles my ordered some how. So now I have a bunch of them sitting here for various projects.

I cut my runners tubes to 5.5".

I used ross machine racing for the runner tubing. Maybe someone else has a better source.

Justin

I ordered a little over $25 work of hemispheres and they doubles my ordered some how. So now I have a bunch of them sitting here for various projects.

I cut my runners tubes to 5.5".

I used ross machine racing for the runner tubing. Maybe someone else has a better source.

Justin

Well I'd buy a few hemispere's from you if that be ok? and while we're at it if you would include the other tubing I'd be happy to pay you for it as well.

Is this the runner tubing that you purchased? http://www.rossmachineracing.com/175tube.html

I'm wondering if there's an effective way to test for the optimal runner length? Looking at Thagards manifold from the previous bunch that he made I seem to remember the runners were 6 inches. Rick has some dyno numbers on it somewhere...

Sounds good on the hemispheres. I'll cut that piece of tubing tomorrow I think and get this boxed up.

That is the tubing I ordered. If you cut the tubing to 5.5", the total runner length becomes ~6" due to the slip fit in the head flange and plenum base. I'm not so sure on the calculations for runner length and peak torque. I'll look into it more today. There is a helm holtz frequency if I remember correctly that determines the proper length from the velocity stack to the intake valve.

Justin