HybridZ

R200 Nismo Lsd 280zxt Axles

Zfreak

I just finished swaping out the open carrier for a NISMO LSD unit in my R200. I have been running 280ZXT axles with the open carrier with no problems. The installation of the LSD unit went perfect. Everything went back into the car with out a problem. The axles snaped into the diff. no problem. On the test drive I could hear a slight rubbing/grinding. It turns out that the axle on the passenger side of the car is making contact with the diff housing right next to the axle seal. The axle is going to far into the diff. The axle snaps into the splines with the snap ring and everything looks good. The axles are in right as far as the overall length, side to side. Any help would be great.

I have not had a chance to really test it due to the grinding noise. I took it back out of the car to inspect it and have not put it back yet. Im waiting for a couple parts from the local nissan dealer. I will give an up date after it is back in the car and tested.

• 2 weeks later...
Zfreak' date='

Where did you get the nismo lsd, by anychance do you have a part #

Thanks[/quote']

Alot of guys avoid the high price and availability issues of the NISMO LSD units and purchase LSD from Precision Gear. They are just under $500 and are just as strong. Check out Precision Gears website. The LSD carriers will be for R200....no R180 units.

Those of you looking for Nismo LSD's should consider Precision Gear LSD's. They are mechanically identical one just has a NISMO stamp and costs more, they come from the exact same plant in Japan from Fugi Heavy Industries.

Leith280zlt1 on this forum is going to be installing one (a 2-way) in my R200 in about a week. He is trying to sell enough of these to become a vendor for Precision Gear. I'll tell you how comes out in few weeks.

Those of you interested in purchasing one should send Leith a PM, he can probably cut you a good deal on one.

How can it goes in too far if you said it snapped in? I don't get it. Unless you are not using the correct axles with correct input shafts. Anyway I have no experience with Nismo LSDs. I installed 3 LSDs in my Zs and never had problem with the axle grinding anything.