HybridZ

am I just having bad luck with r200s or what?

Guest HALLOWEEN Z

Guest HALLOWEEN Z

I've went through two r200s the first one the pin that goes through the spider gears slipped out somehow and it happened right before the finish at the strip. On the one I have now I only raced it once and its making the same sound, I haven't checked but I have a feeling its the same problem. The transmission is a 700r4 with a shift kit and I have bfg drag radials. That first to second shift is very very firm and hard but I here a lot of people are running lower times than me(low twelves) with now problems, I really don't want to put a lot of money in a solid axle or a quaife if I don't need to cause the open diffs seem to work just fine traction wise with drag radials. Should I try another rear or am I doomed to spend a lot of money? Also I checked out the last rear end before it went into the car and it seemed fine and I know its the differential making the noise cause I can turn the driveshaft by hand and feel something hitting everyonece in a while

Guest HALLOWEEN Z

After the first one went I hammered the pin back in and welded it and didn't clean it off and do it right so it only lasted a day like that but after driving a welded one I don't think I would want to leave it like that. Maybe its time to just get out the credit card and CHAAAAARGE!!! a quaife

Guest HALLOWEEN Z

well we welded the pin in place to lol. It was fun for a while but when I finally took it out there was no sign of weld it just all broke off, got chewed up and spit out. I had to see to believe how a welded rear felt. the first time I did a sliding u turn it was open. Oh and by the way before the rear broke all the way I thought it was real cool how both tires would spin when I did a burn out. I thought it was cause the car was perfectly balance sometimes or something, everything else felt fine but I guess it was sort of acting like a "clutch" beings it was slipping out and adding resistance to the spiders.

The one wheel peel is what is tearing up your diffs. When just one spins, the side gear on that side is flying while the other one is sitting still. This causes the spider gears to spin. They were never designed for that. It wears and heats the crossshaft and before long...pop. And back to the boneyard. Suck it up and get a limited slip, in the end your wallet will thank you, the car will be quicker, and much more fun to drive IMO.

are the kaaz carriers as strong as the quaife atb and is there much difference in price?

i was under the impression that the quaife is set and forget with 100% lifetime warranty....including if your racing it,now that's peace of mind,lol.

paul

ps i got a price of AU$1550 for the quaife units(US$1160)inc delivery to australia

KAAZ carriers are a big step up from the Nissan LSDs. They have more, bigger clutches in them and you can get a 1.5 way or a 2 way LSD, where the Nissan only comes in 2 way. The KAAZ runs something like $850, and IMO is a better LSD than the Quaife. I'm just not a fan of Quaifes or TBR diffs at all, and yes, I realize that I am in the minority on this one. If you care to learn why you can read this old post: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=93879

You're right though, the Quaifes do have a lifetime warranty, even if you race.

I agree on this choice....especially considering the price compared to the other alternatives. Very strong carrier assembly. I love mine anyway! The folks at Precision Gear are very nice and very helpful. These units are made for the 12mm ring gear bolts but, the 10mm bolt ring gears will work just fine on these units....talk to the guys at Precision gear about this issue!

you can always try a power-brute....

LOM59-12

R200 W/12MM BOLTS

ALL

http://www.precisiongear.com/powerbrute.htm

cheaper than a quaife.....