HybridZ

Rb30 5speed gearbox fit rb25

zr240

thanks for that

I am just doing a N/A conversion so the gearbox should be ok for that (hopfully)

Ash

hi ash

if you want to be sure get the turbo vl mx7 box(make sure you get that starter too)...they are pretty strong

why are you avoiding the rb25 box,there would be quite a few around i would think....? cost,i have heard they are better than even the mx7 and obviously perfectly suited ratios for your application

you may want to look here for lots of info http://www.calaisturbo.com.au

good luck

paul

hi

the motor comes with a auto and was looking for the most cost effective option for the 5-speed box.

Hi Dave

I havent go the motor yet but I definatly want to buy it.

Its not for the racecar though. Its for my other 240 road car.

Yer I will let you know how the dash goes.

Hows the US?

Ash

hi

the motor comes with a auto and was looking for the most cost effective option for the 5-speed box.

Hi Dave

I havent go the motor yet but I definatly want to buy it.

Its not for the racecar though. Its for my other 240 road car.

Yer I will let you know how the dash goes.

Hows the US?

Ash

The R33 RB25DET 5 speeds are expensive down under arnt they! Mine cost me $2k.

The R33 RB25DET 5 speeds are expensive down under arnt they! Mine cost me $2k.

anyone want to pitch in about the pro's and cons of the mx7(rb30 turbo vl commodore) box vs the one behind the rb25det....as they are easier/cheaper to get hold of in the land of oz

i beleive the mx7 is very similar to the nissan patrol 4wd,and they can take a pounding

slightly off topic but may help ash to decide which way to go

paul

i was told the VL turbo box was not double synchro like the RB25DET box but not sure if that is correct/true

also the VL turbo are getting quite hard to find and due to their age might also require a rebuild

you can pick up RB25DET 5 speeds for around AUD$1200 to AUD$1500

rb25det boxes have identical internals to gtr box, minus the 4wd splitter. As the 25 boxes are worth more in nz than the 26 ones, i have seen people take out the attesa clutch pack from the 26 box, cut off the side of the transfer case, and weld a patch over it :)

the vg box wont bolt up to the rb motor without major mods, i believe its a nissan case with zf or getrag internals, the vg30dett box is claimed to support over 1000hp!!

• 2 weeks later...
the vg box wont bolt up to the rb motor without major mods, i believe its a nissan case with zf or getrag internals, the vg30dett box is claimed to support over 1000hp!!

This is not true the vg30dett box is the same as the '25 and '26 and '30ET it just has a different bellhousing which is intercahangeble with these RB boxes

• 2 years later...

Hey evryone,

im going through the same problem i have r33 rb25det but its auto. rb25 boxes hea in NZ are round 2000 - 2500$. anybody suggest a cheaper option. is it possible to fit rb20 box ?

Hey evryone,

im going through the same problem i have r33 rb25det but its auto. rb25 boxes hea in NZ are round 2000 - 2500$. anybody suggest a cheaper option. is it possible to fit rb20 box ?

depends on your power goals. A RB20DET/RB30 box will work but the question is how long will it hold together? The RB25DET boxes are not cheap $2000-$2500 a RB20DET box $350-$500 so that is 4 or 5 boxes you can go through before you are at the same $$. Or you could purchase on of the many internal upgrades for a RB20DET box that you can get in Australia (no idea on the cost) or use a S14/S15 5 spd and one of the upgrade gear sets from below or a number of places in Japan. Remember that the S14/S15 boxes are longer (better for the early 240z shells as the gear leaver matches the original type A setup but you need a shorter drive shaft.

see http://www.albinsgear.com.au/images/products/200-close_ratio_gearbox_kits/3700-nissan_240k/nissan_240k.pdf

and

http://www.ppgearbox.com.au/products.htm#2

But by the time you do the new gear sets etc you are at the cost of a RB25DET box without paying someone to install the gearset + bearing etc.

Power = increase your budget. If you can't afford the RB25DET don't spend the $$ on looking for more power until you have the drive train to match.

Thanx Nzeder,

I have decided to just save up fo a 25box. it seems like the best option. icon7.gif

Excellent idea with a RB25DET it is the best option - I guess that is why Nissan used these boxes behind the RB25DET in the first place :)

Please let know how your project goes maybe start a thread in the Members Project thread