HybridZ

What brake master cylinder do you use?

I thought I would expound a bit here. I would find out what the C4 MC size is first, and also get the stroke too. Then match this up as well as possible. If you find that the OEM Z MC is too small (7/8"), then the next OEM size would be 15/16" (OEM ZX) for a bolt on application. Even though this is only 1/16" larger, it will be pushing about 15% more fluid for the same stroke. What kind of slave cylinder/hydraulic TO bearing will you be using? The diameter of the bore (and stroke length) compared to the OEM one is important too. On my particular application with a Mcloed (spelling?) hydraulic T/O bearing, I am using a Girling 3/4" MC to great success.

Terry

Terry

Terry is right. Most of us who run rear disc are running the 280ZX master cylinder. AS for the trans, I'm using the stick 94-97 GM T56 Clutch slave cylinder & Tilton 7/8th inch Clutch Master KIT for my 383-T56 combo.

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

I'll be using the Tremec TKO 5 speed and the appropriate hydralic TO bearing - don't know which Master Cylinder. Would probably start with Tilton. I haven't picked the TO out yet but was going to start with McLeod.

Thanks very much for your input - I really appreciate your help!!

Al

Guest Anonymous

I recently bought the Howe racing master cyl for my clutch setup (with a C.N.C. pull- type slave cylinder). I havn't put the pedal box on the car yet, but the pushrod dustcover and casting of the Howe M.C. were larger and while cleaning up the pedalbox I had to hog out the hole they will come through (studs line up though), the firewall will likewise probably need a bit of a trim. I donno if the tilton's that way, but I would have probably bought the tilton had I known (or maybe the Wilwood composite one, the Howe is rather heavy I think). Just a FYI.

Lone

One last note. The Girling unit (as may be true with other brands) had the same bolt pattern as the OEM Z cylinder. It only needed slight modifications to the pushrod bracket to mate up to the Z pedal assembly. With my Mcleod hydraulic T/O bearing, the 3/4" bore works good With a moderate rating (2500 lb)on the pressure plate springs, the feel and strength required by the left leg was almost stock. But I think most folks are using a diaphram type of PP now, which should be easier on the leg.

Terry

For using the C4 parts, you're going to have to look into the throw of the C4 brake pushrod where it goes to the brake booster, to get a good answer. You need to compare it to the Datsun brake pedal throw at the brake booster.

You need to move the same amount of fluid with the PEDAL throw of each pedal, so you need the ratios of the lengths from the pedal pivot to the booster actuator rod and the pedal pivot to the pedal pad for each pedal.

Then look at how much fluid the C4 Master Cylinder moves for a given amount of C4 pedal throw. Then take the same amount of pedal throw for the Z pedal, and using the ratio for the datsun pedal find out how far the brake booster actuation rod will move. Take the fluid displacement that the C4 MC pushed by the same pedal movement and divide it by the Z brake booster actuation rod throw you just found and that's the cross sectional area of the MC needed. Multiply by 4, divide by Pi (3.14) and take the square root. That's the diameter of the MC you need. Round up to the next fractional inch or available size and that's the MC diameter you need.

Make sure that you have enough brake booster actuator rod throw to move the same amount of total fluid that would be moved in the C4 with the pedal on the floor. You don't want to come up short!

The Carroll Smith and Puhn books are good at this stuff, as well as others.

Clutch:

I'm using the Mcleod Hydraulic TO bearing as well and the Girling 3/4" MC. The AP Racing ones also have the right bolt spacing. I think it's pretty standard, so I guess the Tilton spacing is the same.

I'm using a 1LE Camaro diaphram pressure plate. The pedal is just a tad stiffer than the average car, but not bad.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

• 5 years later...