HybridZ

I'm Pissed... Stub axles....

Took tiday off work to finish up the five lug hubs on the rear, and I figured I'd go ahead and pull the stub axles and set them in a drill press I have access to to finish them up. Pull the first one which was most of the way done and... Nut had been cross threaded when the guy I used to associate with did the rear disc swap over for me from the wrecked car I had... Check the other side... Sure enough, both had been crossthreaded. Ya know, the guy knew I was gonna be driving this car at high speeds... Son of a bitch.

Now I'm ordering some stub axles from Zbarn and I'm just gonna send them out and have them drilled and checked properly.

Bottom line, unless you can 100% trust someone else to do the job right, just do it yourself. I'm glad I checked it, but pissed at what I found...

Mad Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

hey mike, i feel your pain. so many times i have trusted someone else to do something just because i didn't have the time. well after multiple burns i have made time to do it myself. that way if it gets messed up i can only blame myself.

he could have atleast told you about the stripped screws or fix them if possible. later, chris

Andy,

13 years ado I would have made that mistake...and did. But not this time. No, this time I was over in Bosnia working during a war, and these F**kers I hired to do it were MY SPONSORS (At the time)!!!! Dumb asses. Anyway, now I know.

On a positive note, I sold my boat today, making about $500 more than I bought it for a year ago, so the extra cash is gonna be nice... Just have to spend some of it on the axles and getting them drilled... and getting Scotties adapters...

Mike

------------------

mjk

Mike,

Did your stubs have the "crush" nut on them? When I first pulled my stubs off, I though the exact same thing: "G-damn m-f'er cross threaded the g-damn p.o.s. m-f'ing axels!!!" I later found out that since I didn't pry up the crushed part of the nut before I took the nut off, my threads were trashed. The crushed part of the nut was so subtle that it didn't look like anything, but in turn, it ruined a perfect set of axels. Oh well, live and learn. It's a lot easier to blame some one else biggrin.gif

Good luck

-Andy

Andy,

Yup, bought it for $800 and sold it for $1300! Happiest two days of a boat owners life... Buying it & Selling it... Not in my book though. That boat was cheap and a lot of fun, and the family enjoyed it. It was just to small. So we are shopping for something much larger, in good shape and a steal!

Randy,

I'm gonna get some ZXT nuts for the new Stub axles.

Mike

------------------

mjk

I (as it seems the world has) have cursed my stubs for the same reason too. I bought a couple of good quality (all metric nuts and bolts are better quality than the SAE stuff it seems) nuts for the stub threads. Then using a cutoff wheel I cut the nuts in half (half moons), clamped them around the good stub treads in a vise, and unscrewed the bolt out of the nut halfs to restore the bad treads. A high grade nut (grade 8 for example)is required, and don't get it too hot while cutting it in half. I went through 3 nuts before the treads where clean enough to use again, and this time I used the ZX nuts for assembly (they are a typical locking nut and can be removed again without damaging the threads).

Terry

Terry or anyone,

I removed one stub axle without prying up the crushed part of the nut and I was lucky that I did not damage the threads. I have one axle that still needs to be removed. I won't be lucky twice so how does one pry up that crushed part of the nut? Is it meant to be carefully cut/ground off and a new nut used? I have ZX replacements in hand.

Thanks,

Danno74Z

A punch or chisel can be used to move the peened over section outward radially so it doesn't contact the axle.

I've heard of using a die grinder to grind that area of the nut off, but there are bearings and grease in the area, so I wouldn't suggest that unless you are going to get new parts and/or clean all the grease out and regrease the inner bearing.

And Mike, if it were me, I'd find a machine shop with a rotory table, tell them to use one of the old lug studs as a starting point, and put 4 more holes in for a 5x4.5 bolt circle. Of course, some good ARP studs would go in as well. Maybe have the outer bearings pulled off, have the axles shot peened, and magnaflux inspected, especially near the splined area and the friction weld at the flange/shaft juncture. Then have new outer bearings pressed on.

With all the torque you're pouring through those puppies, why not?! I think the stubs are you're weakest link if you've got CVs and a good R200 and driveshaft in the car.

JMO,

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited February 08, 2001).]