HybridZ

103 cubic inch v8...

OlderThanMe

• Administrators

Sorry for going so far off Hybrid topic here, but this topic is just way to cool…

BOY HOWDY!!! I’ve seen that engine run in person at the P.R.I.M.E. shows here in Oregon over past few years. Ken is the same builder of the Blown V-8 with wine glasses picture below.

Guys from all over the country attend the P.R.I.M.E. show to show off their scratch built miniature running engines. Everything from single cylinder hit and miss, Steam, to blown V-8’s and even home made Gas Turbines!!!. There is a an air cooled VW replica that even has that chirp sound when it runs, an Allison V-12, a few Radial engines, four cylinders, V-twins, and lots of single cylinders. Mostly these guys are retired machinists and they spend their days scratch building miniature engines. Everything from the pistons, cranks, cams, valves, even the valve springs they wind themselves. Most of them will tell you that the spark plugs and piston rings are the hardest parts to manufacture themselves. Most of them just by miniature NGK or Champion plugs. Also, piston rings are typically cast iron rings from Automatic transmissions. There is a very common 1” inch diameter ring available from Auto trannies, so most guys will build their pistons around those rings. Some of them even go so far as to cast their own blocks, pistons, intake manifolds EXACTLY replicating OE engines such as the SBC picture below, with its casting molds.

Over the years of attending these shows, I’ve taken hundreds of pictures and some VHS video. Here are just a few of those pics …

Blown.jpg

P3300011Medium.jpg

Castings.jpg

4.jpg

EnginesLarge.jpg

1.jpg

Offy1Large.jpg

2.jpg

Thanks for those pics BRAAP!!! I have always thought about building a minituare V8 but I figured it was too complex for anyone to attempt a small V8...that blower looks soo awesome!!

they need to start doing entire muscle cars at that exact scale...that would be sweet! a 1/5 or 1/6 scale general lee! :-D

Now time to do a minature L28det! :wink:

So, do all these engines just sit around and get revved up every once in a while, or is anyone building small cars around them?

I had seen, a while back, a guy who had built an 1/4 scale Ford 427 with the corresponding R/C AC cobra, this thing was capable of speeds well over a 100 Kph (60 Mph) I don't know if he's part of this group.

I used to have a link for a company that was selling bare castings for a 1/4 scale rolls royce merlin. If memory serves, a castings set and plans sold for about $4,000! Then of course you do your own machining. I always wanted to build one but time money and tools were never all in the same place. maybe someday.

Found it:

http://dynamotive.netfirms.com/merlin/