HybridZ

Running rich / poor mileage

Ok.

Here is another problem on a different car. This is on the 510 wagon I drove back from Utah.

I only get about 25 mpg and you can tell it is running pretty rich.

I checked the vacuum, ignition timing and changed the coil. Still running rich. It has a stock looking hitachi carb, (rebuilt). It has an L18 in it.

When you come to a stop and start to go again, it has a stumble right off idle. That is the only time it acts up.

It idles fine, doesn't miss. It seems to be a little lacking on power though escpecially in the upper rpm range.

Is it possible the cam timing is off ?

3.0, 2500lb car.

It takes a certian amount of power (let's say 40 hp) to move a a given weight (2500lbs) at whatever speed (65mph). It doesn't matter if it's a 1.8 or 5.7 it will take roughly the same amount of fuel to make that 40 hp to move the weight. There are V8 guys on the board that get same the mileage I get with twice the motor. Do you have a 5 spd or 4 spd? Is your mileage highway or street? If highway, how fast? Anything over 65 and mine drops quite a bit. New Scions weigh 2500lbs and have 1.5l that are alot more fuel effiecent but only get 32 city. They are a little heavier but I can't see an L18 510 ever getting 30+ mpg just becuase it a little lighter.

hmm.. maybe the mileage is ok...

but its still running a little on the rich side and slugglish on the top end..which may indicate the fuel not burning completely...

I'll take a look at the timing marks on the gear soon... I think that may be the culprit, since the mileage factor has been ruled out..