HybridZ

LT1 and Subaru Rack

• Administrators

Power steering is finished and customer is tickled. We figure this is probably the only bone stock L-28 powered Black Pearl ’78 280-Z in existence with power steering. Test drove it around the lake and BOY OH BOY, power steering in an S-30 is oh so nice… Ron Tyler test drove it and all he said when he got back was that he hated me and now he has to convert his 260-Z to power steering. :2thumbs:

She picked the car up last night, brought it back today and I double checked that everything was tight, no leaks etc. then installed a BRAAP security device so her car wont up and drive away without her consent. :wink:

Here she pulling away tonight with one of her good friends, aka "Jessica"…

Amos.jpg

• Administrators
Ron Tyler test drove it and all he said when he got back was that he hated me and now he has to convert his 260-Z to power steering. :2thumbs:

Actually, I was thinking about banning you :mrgreen:

It is very nice isn't it, even with those wide tires you sold me BRAAP the Z is almost a civilized street car, wait a minute, did I really say that. :confused:

This car is an animal, my son calls it Cerberus (That 3 headed dog thing chained at the Gates of Hell). Thats a direct quote of his description.

Anyway, the steering is light, very quick and in no way vague. This rack seems to me to not be completely linear. It might be that I'm not used to it yet along with the wide sticky tires I'm running or it may be a little understeer I didn't have before. Turn in is real quick but then I need to feed in more input to maintain the turn. I suppose it could be bump steer as well.

Bottom line, the install was a lot of work but was worth it in the end. :)

Wheelman

• 3 months later...

Hey Wheelman, nice install of the Subaru rack mate!

I am in the process of installing a Subaru myself and have noticed that the pivot points for the inner control arms need to be up and a touch out to line up with the ends of the Subaru rack (amazingly very close to JTR manual suggested movement of inner control arm pivot points, 3/4" up and 1/4" out - something like that) - slightly different though!

Means if you want to line up the inner control arm pivot points and rack ends and then have the ball-joint and tie rod end centre's line up your going to need to get an extra bit of distance through your inner rack and tie-rod ends - that is, the subaru rack, inner rack ends and tie-rod ends need to be longer than the original datsun rack, rack ends and tie-rod ends!!!

Is that possible with the Celica and Subaru rack end combination mate? Do you have enough thread on the Celica rack ends for adjustment out???

I am in the process of looking at what bits and pieces I can slap together so I don't have to ream the steering knuckles or cut and re-thread inner rack ends!!!

I think I had about 3/4" or 19mm of adjustment out on each side after getting the front end aligned so yeah you should be able move the inner control arm pivot point to the JTR suggested location. It may not leave much for adjustment depending on how far you move the pivot though.

I ended up moving the rack down as much as I could instead of moving the LCA pivot points. The inner tie rod joints are a tiny bit out board of the LCA pivots but as long as the arm and tie rod are parallel I don't think it makes a huge difference.

Keep us informed of your progress and post up some pictures so we can see how you did it. Solving the plumbing issues was where I spent most of my time. Fortunately got some much appreciated help from ViperRedLS1Z in this department. :)

Wheelman

I purchased a set of adjustable lower control arms so would like to try and get as much adjustment as possible - however, as I will be moving the inner control arm pivots points to line up with the rack ends that will give me about a degree of camber, so probably dont need to adjust it out much further than that :-),

I went searching for a set of S80 volvo rack ends and couldnt find them locally, local auto parts stores did track down 1999-2001 volvo racks (have no idea what they are from though as that was all the information they could provide me) but surprisingly they actually fit and did not bottom out - ie required no cutting of the inner-rack to Subaru rack connection! Good to know the Celica is another option aswell!!!

I got sick of trying to figure out how to mount the rack, route the lines and intermediate shaft with my Subaru rack conversion so I did this instead :-)!!!

26102008373640x480.jpg

26102008367640x480.jpg

26102008374640x480.jpg

Much easier to run the lines now :-)!!!

• 6 months later...

i see most people go for the subbie forester rack in here. Anything bad or MORE of a pain to fit in the Miata one in there? what year miata are used on the 72 Z's ? il be wanting to get my 72 240z with the L28 turbo motor power steering. (got a bad wrist) wich one of the two racks would you guys recomend ?

I strongly recommend the subi and celica inners, very straight forward and works great with the 280zx pump.

celica inners ? enlighten me :)

yeah i got the donor zx turbo pump still on the motor in the engine while i do the engine build up.

SuperDuner,

Read the whole thread and you'll find part numbers for Celica inner tie rods that work with the stock Subaru outers. Be sure to read the whole thread though as there seems to be a point at which Subaru changed the size of the threads in the end of the steering rack. I used a 99 Forrester assembly which has 14x1.5 threads but one of the other guys used a later rack that had 16x1.5 which won't work with the Celica inners.

This might be of interest to,

From an Australian Z site where a fellow has done a Subaru Conversion,

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,2720.0.html

The valve-body has been spun 180deg's!

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2720.0;attach=3434;image

And an extract from the post,

"my power steering guy told me that the Subaru power head can be rotated 180 and work perfectly. obviously the new lines had to be made. the help of Phil from Kent Automotive got that sorted out really well."

There is little detail except the head was spun 180 deg's, I breify tried but couldn't hold the rack down to get enough torque to undo the bolt for the head - un-doing the two allen-head screws won't allow you to remove the head, have to undo a larger bolt that is on the head,

This might make life a lot easier when routing the PS lines on the rack and to the Power Steering fluid pump or reservior, no more cutting up the crossmember to route the PS lines!!!

Also, a succinct, culmination of wisdom!

And to Clarify,

Looks like you have two options to "bolt" together a Subaru Rack and slap it into your Z!

Option1:

Parts Needed,

• 90's Subaru Rack (refer to previous post on length);
  • 1983-88 Toyota Tercel inner rack ends = Moog EV168;
  • Stock Z Tie-Rod Ends!

Option2:

Parts Needed,

• 90's Subaru Rack (refer to previous post on length);
  • 1984 Celica inner rack ends = Moog EV167;
  • 1999 Subaru Forester tie-rod ends = Moog part ES3712!

Keep in mind, these part #'s may be useless at your local parts stores or dealerships, so remember the year's of production of the specific part's you require just in case there part #'s are different!!!

Sorry I can't be more specific on exactly which Subaru rack to get - but my personal experience is with a 1993 Legacy rack, Wheelman's is with a 1999 Forester rack - they may be identical, I dont know!!!

From,

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=143445&page=4&highlight=subaru+rack+size

The above thread also covers most of the topics of this sticky - both have all the information you need to install the Subaru Rack into your Z, the aforementioned thread also covers the Miata rack briefly!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I don't need power steering but i hope you can help met at this forum.

I widened my wheel arms, so i need 1" longer tie rods on the stock steering rack.

Can anyone tell me of there are longer outer tie rods or inner tie rods wich wil fitt on the stock rack and steering nuckle?

Thanks a lot, Wout van Aken (from Netherlands, sorry for my english).

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...