HybridZ

lexan windows.. thickness recs and where to purchase?

JaysZ

I'm trying to make some windows for my rear quarter and hatch windows. what size thickness is not too thin and not unnecessarily thick? would i need a strap for my hatch window? i've got new weatherstripping, should i use it or just rivet it in? weatherstrip would be a little counter-productive i know, but i might have less worries

also, i measured the rear hatch to be roughly 37.5" wide and 28" tall... anyone know where i can purchase lexan polycarb sheet this size for a reasonable price?

this is what i'm trying to do:

DSCN0739.sized.jpg

1/8" is okay for everything but the windshield. I think you can buy a Lexan windshield which is 1/4" thick, but the weight savings isn't much, and then you have a super easy to scratch windshield.

You can buy smaller pieces at Lowes or Home Depot, but check the yellow pages for plastics and you'll probably find a dealer who will sell you a 4' x 8' sheet for a better price per sq ft. I think when I was getting "the deal" I could buy a 4x8 sheet for about $60. I want to say it was about double that for the average Joe who just walked in. It's been about 5 years since I had the plastics hook up though...

EDIT- Yes you need straps for the hatch!

Summit Racing sells sheets of some stuff called "Speedglass" that is Lexan supposedly covered with a clear coating of some sort that helps with scratch resistance. That's what I plan to use for my windows.

If you want more info on Speedglass, you can google it. The company that makes the stuff is called "Percy's" if I remember right.

That's a pretty good price, but how much does "motor freight" shipping cost?

Pull out your yellow pages and call around to glass shops. They usually have this stuff on the shelf. Even if it's more expensive, I'm guessing might be cheaper than shipping the one piece freight.

That's a pretty good price' date=' but how much does "motor freight" shipping cost?

Pull out your yellow pages and call around to glass shops. They usually have this stuff on the shelf. Even if it's more expensive, I'm guessing might be cheaper than shipping the one piece freight.[/quote']

good point. i've been too lazy to pull out the big 'ol book (easier to google it lol) but if it can save a few bucks, i will do it :)

• 2 weeks later...