HybridZ

Ls1 Part #2

if i was closer id come and buy it as is for 500... thats not in a very important area of the block. it would pretty much need to be welded just to stop any oil leaking and for some strength but thats it. from the pictures, it looks like you are taking pictures of the passanger side front part of the block, that would be where AC mounts, and if you arent running AC you dont need those anyways..

... thats not in a very important area of the block. it would pretty much need to be welded just to stop any oil leaking and for some strength but thats it. from the pictures, it looks like you are taking pictures of the passanger side front part of the block, that would be where AC mounts, and if you arent running AC you dont need those anyways..

Those are the AC mounts, but that little bolt underneath the two bosses is the cross bolt for the front main cap. Looks like the whole front corner of the block would fall away once the front main cap is removed. Why do you feel that is not a very important area of the block? On the LS motors even the oil pan is a stressed, structural member of the block.

I assume that damage occured when the car was totaled. That might be the only damage, or it might be the only visible damage. That thing must have been hit hard.

The only way I would sink anymore money into a block like that is if I stripped it completely down and had the block sonic checked/magnafluxed (if that is possible with an aluminum block). Just my 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok the motor n tranny combo is pretty much sold to a member here.....if he would like to chime in he is more than welcome. Hope to see this in his car by next summer!

Now to get rid of the extra parts.....

Weird!

I bought an LS1 T-56 engine tranny combo out of a 2001 Z28 that was in a front end collision and it had the EXACT same block damage. The A/C compressor mounts there and that's what took the shot in the wreck and broke out the bolt boss. I think if the steering rack gets pushed back in a front end collision, the first thing it would hit on the right side is the A/C compressor.

Did I mention, Weird?

Bottom line, we just tigged it and ran a tap in the threads. End result was great engine, no problems!!

- Lee

Weird!

I bought an LS1 T-56 engine tranny combo out of a 2001 Z28 that was in a front end collision and it had the EXACT same block damage. The A/C compressor mounts there and that's what took the shot in the wreck and broke out the bolt boss. I think if the steering rack gets pushed back in a front end collision' date=' the first thing it would hit on the right side is the A/C compressor.

Did I mention, Weird?

Bottom line, we just tigged it and ran a tap in the threads. End result was great engine, no problems!!

- Lee[/quote']

Yes same exact damage here. I am sure the motor is fine but I want someone from HBZ to have it with a little work. If I was going to do any swap I def would have kept it....maybe for the Maxima!

• 1 month later...

Well I guess since a member here asked me how much did I ever get for the motor........well here it is......I sold the motor n tranny for $1650 plus buyer paid shipping cost. This is basically to help any HBZ member in pricin a motor n tranny combo they want to buy or sell. If I didnt't have a motor already, I would have taken the advice of just welding up the block.