HybridZ

CNC'd LSD clutches

Phyxius

The other thread was getting a little bloated, so I decided to start a new one.

I have some good news and bad news.

The Bad: I broke the new tool the day I got it. That is getting very aggrivating. The tool's coating showed no signs of wear and the feedrates were 20% slower than the fastest feed that I've cut the material at.

The Good: I managed to cut enough clutches for myself and jmortensen before the tool broke

Here are a couple pictures:

newclutch.jpg

newclutch2.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laser cutting would have definitely been easier, but it would have been more expensive for just these few clutches. I could still have a lot made by laser cutting if there were suddenly a demand for them. I don't think I care to try to cut any more of this stuff with my tooling. If someone else wants to buy and send me the appropriate tool, I can cut some more. I can't garauntee tool life though >:)

And yes, if you are satisfied with the clutches, I'm ready for some money. If you'd rather me mail them to you first so you can take a look and then send the money, that's fine too.

wow... awesome job man... I can't wait to see how your LSD holds up...

Thanks... As far as the holding up part goes, I'm 100% sure that these are stronger than the stock ones and I'm putting more in than the stock diff had, so there should be no problems with the clutches holding up. :)

If anyone needs some particular part cut, I'd be more than happy to do it if they paid for all the material and a little for my time. I'm anxious to stretch my new found CNC legs.

I too would be interested in some clutches for my r200lsd. Let me know what you want for a set.

Mike

You guys who want clutches:

1: I need to know how many and what kind. There are two styles of clutch in the LSD's... the friction plate and the friction disk. The friction disk is the only one that I have made and is the one pictured above. I can make the friction plates but it will take some time to perfect the cutting code.

2: I've been unable to determine why I keep breaking tools. This makes me want to move towards a softer metal... or at least one that is not heat treated already. The problem with that is that they may not be as strong. If you want them made from the polished, heat treated 1092 above, I will need 1 tool per 6 clutches. That will make the price go up a little from what Jon and I agreed before I started cutting.

Bottom Line: Figure out exactly what you need, how many, and what material you want it made out of. I can give you a better idea about the time frame and cost then. Just a rough estimate "shooting from the hip" so to speak, you are probably looking in the range of $15-20 per clutch.

For the guys with the 300ZXT LSD that uses spacers instead of clutches I suggest you do 4-1.65mm clutch disks. That directly replaces the thickness of the spacers and gives you 3 times as much surface area to put torque to the side gears. You can still shim to a desired breakaway from there.

I know there were guys who were having trouble with the 300 ZXT LSDs when drag racing, and I bet that the crappy 1 disk per side clutch setup that the 300ZXT LSD has is the culprit. I think you drag guys with the BIG hp should jump on this. It is a good deal.

Thanks again Joshua, I really appreciate you doing this.

The metal we used was .062(1.58mm) and will require shimming to get back to the original thickness. I did this because I could not find any metal 1.65mm exactly, and going a little small is better than going a little big because you can alway shim up.

What time frame are you guys looking at for getting these?

Well, personally, I'm just getting them while the gettings good. I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to replacing/ adjusting clutches in a diff, butI figure someday, I'll need these.

I don't have a time frame, so when ever is good with me. Right now I have a VLSD R200 in my car, but do have a 3:9 CLSD R200 to use them on if needed some day...

Justlet me know the plan, once you come up with one...

j.

Well crap it looks like I am going to need to rebuild 2- 300 ZXT R200 rear ends as I think I fragged the clutches in my replacement rear end this weekend. I was heating the tires at the track when my friend came running up and said to let off as only one tire was spinning and the other was not.

I can get both to spin in the water but only one in heating the drag radials up out of the water box. Sucks again! This is two r200 LSD rear ends in less than one year.

Mike