HybridZ

Same Side inlet/outlet FMIC question

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

im looking for something like this..

aaaa10414.jpg

its 6in high core size...

i know that brand isnt good, i just choice the pic so ppl can see what i mean.

okay, i know this might sound ricer, but i just want something with more core size...aka bigger.

Im going all out on my new turbo setup, BIG turbo, custom stainless steel exhaust manifold, alumin piping, tial wastegate, 4in stainless steel downpipe, v-bands, custom intake manifold, etc..

i dont want to go cheepo on the fmic, but im also building this car to look just as nice as it will perform.

i dont mind buying a core and welding on my own endtakes but is there a reason why i dont see bigger cores then whats pictured in that picture of same sided inlets and outlets?

if anybody has a link on some thats already made that would be cool to.

i know it sound ricey but i just like the way big fmic's look, but i want a same sided setup for this L28.

mike

Guest ON3GO

i guess one can do something like this with the endtanks and just run the pipe over the intercooler it self.. but i kinda liked the idea of having very short piping!

ic-z3004-100.JPG

Spearco makes one like the first one pictured(18x6x3), and its core is good for something around 700+ hp. you may want to go to 2.75 or 3 inch intercooler pipes as you approx that kind of power tho. Not ure how much power you're really looking to make tho.

That style with the long end takes is actually supposed to be a superior design to the normal style aftercoolers from what I've read. Supposed to flow and cool much better simply due to the way the end tanks are designed, more of an even flow.

Spearco makes one like the first one pictured(18x6x3), and its core is good for something around 700+ hp. you may want to go to 2.75 or 3 inch intercooler pipes as you approx that kind of power tho. Not ure how much power you're really looking to make tho.

So does Cartech - at least they have cores in that config - you might have to make the endtanks.

That style with the long end takes is actually supposed to be a superior design to the normal style aftercoolers from what I've read. Supposed to flow and cool much better simply due to the way the end tanks are designed, more of an even flow.

Ditto. Bad brand or not, that first intercooler will probably outflow the second one by a factor of four or five. I know it was just an example for the end tank style, but still...

To me its only ricey if it's performance doesn't live up to its looks. If its effective, then I don't really care if sombody thinks it looks ricey (okay, the big stupid wings might be an exception to this rule - I wouldn't use one even if it was effective :mrgreen: ).

Drop VinhZXT, a message. He has one installed in his yellow car. He is very happy with it. He has convinced me to get one for mine as well.

I have read on a more than a few forums, that the ebay sourced intercoolers are well worth trying. They seem to be as well made as the name brand units.

Guest 280ZForce

here's the treadstone I have on mine...name brand and proven to flow very well.

The 1 I got is slightly too big for the front of a 280z, but some of the old bumper mount supports out on the passenger side for my last IC, and I didnt feel like cutting more out, so now this 1 is slightly angled appearance. But it is straight as far as the top goes. 240z will have no problem housing this size because they dont have those heavy duty bumper supports as part of the car there.

Overall Size 29" X 12" X 3.5", Core Size 25" X 6" X 3.5", 3" Inlet/Outlet.

i paid $375 shipped for it brand new in the box from ebay.

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

Guest ON3GO

ya i know they flow better, my buddy chris has one on his Z from spearco... very nice unit!

i was just wondering if anybody offers a taller core size? every one i see is 6inchs, im looing for bigger if need be.

doesnt Rick have a nice custom unit on his porker Z?

mike

Guest ON3GO

i do but not if it will hurt performance.

my goals are high for HP..

i got the turbo, the block, the head, the wastegate, the exhaust manifold, the intake manifold... i just dont have the intercooler yet.

if anything taller then 6in core isnt need or will hurt then i wont go for it.

mike

Guest 280ZForce
I think He's after looks also.... He wants that bada$$ huge I/C look...:mrgreen:

mine is huge...look at the pics above. the core is 6" tall, yes, but the overall height at biggest is 12". it's massive.

the pic w/ the hood off shows it best.

I think He's after looks also.... He wants that bada$$ huge I/C look...:mrgreen:

something like this perhaps....muhahahahaha :)

35094.jpg

actually, I'm looking at getting a different intercooler similar to the ones pictured above...when I have the money...sigh

Guest ON3GO

sparky i thought u werent gonna show and full pics yet!! couldnt hold out could ya :D.

but yes thats the "look" im going for but highly polished :D

mike

im looking for something like this..

aaaa10414.jpg

its 6in high core size...

i know that brand isnt good' date=' i just choice the pic so ppl can see what i mean.

mike[/quote']

You mean the brand is not famous or the I/C is not good and how do you know that? Those designs that have like 5 long tubes stretching the width of the car looks "awesome" but are FAR inferior to the one you have pictured. Most of the cooling takes place in the 1st 6" of the tube and having more open tube area facing the end tank means the I/C can handle more volume. Increased airflow means the potential for more HP. When it comes to I/Cs, bigger, longer, shinier :D does not always mean better.

I'd always heard that the vertical core intercoolers worked better, but that if the inlet/outlet were on the same side, the air never really made it all the way to the end of the intercooler and it was better if it came in on one side, out on the other so that the air was forced to utilize the entire core area.

Guest 280ZForce
but that if the inlet/outlet were on the same side, the air never really made it all the way to the end of the intercooler and it was better if it came in on one side, out on the other so that the air was forced to utilize the entire core area.

this is only true if you are trying to use a 1-sided intercooler and have horizontal cores and end tanks on each end.

horizontal cores are supposed to have top/bottom cores and usually have directed cores for maximum efficiency in which the end tank is smaller in height on the side forces the air over and larger on the side of the opening so that it directs the air flow to where it needs to go as fast and efficient as possible.