HybridZ

Stuck input shaft...

naviathan

Had some problems with my tranny not going into gear when it was moving. If I stop it would shift into whatever gear, but as soon as I started moving it wouldn't shift at all. I pulled the tranny yesterday, put it in neutral and tried to turn the input shaft and it wouldn't budge. Any ideas on whether or not it's worth rebuilding?

Hmm...I'm not really an expert on trany's but I did just finish rebuilding my T5...

If you have it out already pull the front bearing retainer and see what's what. You should be able to see what the front bearings look like, if they are gauled or anything.

Oh no, the 81ZX is my daily driver. I was planning to rebuild a 5 speed for the 77 project later using the tripple rate springs for longevity. I just don't want to tear into this thing and find I could have just picked up another tranny for the time being cheaper than the parts.

Dude, trannies are cheap at the boneyard if you pull it yourself. I got one for $50, and it came with a flywheel for my auto to manual conversion. Even in suspect condition, it's going to be less time and money than a rebuild if you are just looking for an interim solution.

The problem there is I can't find any Z's in the junkyards around here. Not to mention these guys think they have gold in their yards. Most parts are $10 shy of a new one. Not even worth pulling it. They make their money on scrap metal here.