HybridZ

Ls1 Clutch

just wondering of the guys running ls1 who running std clutches

whos running after market upgraded clutchs and if happy with them what brand and type

Im looking at mild mods hoping for 300kw at flywheel or bit better as well as adding shot nos for drags around 100 hp been looking at the spec type 2 plus or type 3

any info would be much appreciated

thanks Mick

Stay away from the Spec clutches as they do not last anywhere near as long as the factory clutches. Personally I like the factory LS6 clutch set. You can buy it in the summit catalog or sdpc. The factory LS6 clutch is good for 500 rwhp. I don't know what that is in KW. But if that isn't enough holding power for ya, I would look into the McLeod street twin. The street twin is good for 1000 hp.

Do a search on LS1TECH.com. There are a lot of opinions on clutches there.

The really high HP guys seem to love the Textrailia (spelling?) clutches made in Oz. The spec clutches have litterally blow up in a couple of different corvette applications.

For the near stock HP guys (which your 400 HP covers), the hot ticket seems to be the LS7 clutch. You will need a new flywheel. Here is a pic of the LS7 clutch compared to the LS1 stock clutch. Most guys on on LS1TECH.com feel the stock LS1 clutch is inadequate.

http://kb.ls1gto.com/KB/article.aspx?id=10039

Prices and part numbers of the LS7 parts are

Clutch $261.00 LS7 Clutch & Pressure plate kit Part No. 242336500

flywheel $161.82 Corvette (NOT GTO) ls2 flywheel Part # 1257611

pilot bearing $8.66 LS1 pilot bearing part number is 14061685

Hopefully a few guys who are actually running upgraded clutches will chime in. I should be buying a clutch this week, but right now I am leaning toward the LS7 unit.

There were a few guys complaining about the weight on LS1TECH too. All I really saw is the stock units is only 8 pounds less. Must be for the whole package because most steel flywheels on Summit are around 30# or less.

MAS280 was one of the guys who pioneered the swap on LS1TECH.

Yea, stock is not 500 RWHP. He's looking at hard launchs and nitrous. The LS6 clutch would be toast.

Just reread the original post. Didn't get past the mild mods and 300. Me bad. :-( He did say 300 kw at the motor not hp. Didn't catch that... Let's see, that equats to 402 hp at the motor + 100hp nitrous at the motor so looking at probably around 430 RWHP.

I'm not sure an LS6 clutch would be "toast". I guess it would depend on if he launches with nitrous or kicks it in some time later. But then again, I prefer to have the clutch be the weak link in the system. I'd much rather replace a clutch than a transmission or rearend :-)

guy i bought the nos kit off was running a commodore (4 door version of the GTO) similar motor to mine said after 10 runs his std clutch was starting to flare so thats why i think need something bit stronger am looking here in aust at the textralia or local firm extreme use there clutch in my rx4 and has worked fine

but happy to buy direct for usa if supplier will deal with australia

What i read about the spec clutches ie people either luv them or hate them not much in between