HybridZ

Going to the Pick & Pull's !!!

Guest crisdeanb

Guest crisdeanb

Hey Guys, starting to do some work on my stock '72 240Z ... so I figured I should pay a visit to the local pick and pull's in my area to get some upgrade parts. Just wondering if you guys could give me some help on what I should look for ? I want to upgrade the brakes, the diff, and anything else that should be upgraded from the new Z's, SX's and Toyota 4X4. Fairly new to all this .. so any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

It all depends on what you want. If you find one, a CLSD from a 300zx will give you a good return if you sell it for more, but the chances of finding one are slim.

only thing you should be pulling off a 4x4 is the calipers.

One year maxima had an adapter you can use on the back of the Z to put 280zx disc brake calipers on.

You might want to get a R200 diff and the required mustache bar to mount it in your '72. If you find a car with usable parts try to get what you can because there is a good chance the car won't be there next time you go. My local Pic A Part had a 50% off sale last Memorial Day weekend, wonder if there will be another sale for 4th of July?

crisdeanb, You might want to read Terry Oxendale's write-up on brake upgrades. Pretty easy to do and with all Nissan parts. You can likely find his write-up in the archives, either here or at Classic Zcar Club's site. Just my 2 cents!

parts like toyota calipers and rotors should be bought new/remanufactured from stores. not JY.

well, thats partly true. i like to get parts from the JY if it will cover the core charge on the new parts.

although this can turn into lots of work for little return

Another consideration is that if you are interested in experimenting with parts' fit - especially with new or speculative combinations - it's much cheaper and easier to use junkyard parts. For example, I confirmed a friend's advice about trying a Gen II Camaro (1970-1982) front rotors on a 240Z, but grabbing the rotors from one such Camaro at the junkyard, and trying them on a Z. It turns out that they fit quite nicely; the only ambiguity is what to do with the grease seal.