HybridZ

rear disc conversion - stub axle removal

Is it absolutely nessecary to remove the stub axle for instalation of the brackets on a rear disc conversion? I purchased a kit on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8070877205

I've been doing some research and some people are saying that you only have to remove the stub axle in order to remove the back plate for the drums however some people are using a sawzall and grinder to accomplish this as well. Can I get away with that method? I dont have any air tools and I hear the stub axles are held on with a bolt torqued at 240 ft lbs :confused2 I haven't the tools or the time to go through such a lengthly install and know of no shops around that would be willing to do the work I'm quite disheartened. Any suggestions would be wonderful...

if you don't plan on reusing the backing plate to convert back to drums later, or selling it, cut it off...

but you dont need airtools to get the stub axles off though, i pulled some off of a 280z in a pick in pull with a breaker bar . torquing them back on might be another story.

Guest Speedyblue

From the eBay ad, it appears he supplies stock Nissan brackets, Read 4 bolt. It is possible to cut these down so they will slip on without pulling the stub axle, but you might just have to bite the bullet and pull them. It isn't that hard to pull the stub axle and re-install it, but you should replace the bearings and you must replace the huge nut that holds the axle on. If you have a good torque wrench, then you can do the nut up tight enough, no air tools needed.

Not what you want to hear, but if you do it once and do it right, you won't be disapointed.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input guys I've got another question: where can I find replacement bolts for holding the stub axle together? as I understand It I'll have to saw them up in order to remove them I havent taken a look at them yet no time but I suppose I'll do it the right way the wheel bearings could stand to be replaced anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...

I acquired the replacement bolts just gotta put um in now, I'll prolly do it this weekend I gotta replace my rear struts/springs tomarrow. I'll let ya kno how the install goes and how they work, the kit looks pretty damn good I cant wait...

did the guy tell u what model maxmia the calipers are off so u can get pads for them

been trying to locate 240sx calipers to go mm motorsport way but cant seem to find any over here maybe the maxmia are an option as nissan sold maxmias in australia

mick

I have removed the backing plates both ways and I would say the easiest way for me was unbolting the stub axle, of course I was using a 4" grinder with a cutoff disc, it might be easier with your sawsall. The side I unbolt I had a huge pipe on my breaker bar and it wasn't real easy either. I used the Maxima brackets and cut them with a cutoff saw removing one mounting hole so they could be slipped on or off in the future if needed.