HybridZ

Mating Help Enzyte Not Required

So I have successfully put together engines and transmission before but today I spent 2 hours sweating in my garage trying to mate my 4 speed to my sbc 350. Used a clutch alignment tool. The engine is hanging from the hoist and the tranny is on a jack. but for some confounded reason I havent been able to get them together yet. Anybody got any good tricks for this evolution? Thanks.

Sorry about the title. Wanted to draw some attention.

For the L series at least, it's easier to drop in the engine with the tranny out, the put the tranny in.

If you don't want to do that, I would also put a jack under the engine to help align the engine and tranny.

It has to be almost dead straight on for it to go in with minimal effort.

Mario

It's just a matter of getting everything lined up, which can really try your patience sometimes.

You might try taking the bellhousing off the trans and using the actual input shaft to line up the disc, rather than the tool.

Some long bolts, like 8" or so, can be pretty good getting things to line up and go together straight.

If the Enzyte has caused the input shaft to swell up, you're doomed.

John

I had this problem when I was doing my Jeep engine swap. At least with the Jeep, the input shaft has to be PERFECTLY aligned with the block. I ended up using two jacks and a strap. One jack under the tranny, one under the backside of the block and a long wratchet strap to wrap around both. The strap gives a point of reference to see how far off your angle is and when you get the spliens lined up the strap can be helpful in pulling the two together.

i suppose I shall offer my experience as well.

Does the transmission have dowels? If so, perhaps the dowels have been molested in some way that they are no longer the exact shape to fit into their proper holes, and this could be causing you problems.

One time, I tried to line up my clutch using a Honda clutch tool. It almost fit, but the clutch was off just enough to cause me 30 min of wrestling with the transmission before I gave up and picked up a Nissan one. Oh the stubbornness of youth...

In the past I have cut the heads off of a couple of bellhousing to engine bolts and cut a flat bladed screw drive slot in the top with a hacksaw. Thread those into the engine and use them to hang/align the trans while you push them together. Turning the trans output shaft will help the splines align (trans must be in gear obviously). Once the two are together, use a screw driver to remove the home made studs and replace with the mounting bolts.

You guys are awesome.

Never thought of studding the engine and slipping the tranny on. I am using some long bolts now but the stud idea is great. Now why didn't I think of that.

Enzyte Steppin Large and Laughin Easy. Bob will be proud and his wife will be pleased.