HybridZ

The Hybrid Monkey on My Back

SSflyer

It's a rather traumatic moment when you realize that your life has slipped away and you are a mindless slave to an addiction. With some people it's drugs, others alcohol, some EBAY, the lucky few (or maybe many) sex with Angelina, but today I found myself in a closed garage, in my boxers, sitting on the top of the sway bar inside the engine bay, grinding off welds. How pathetic is that? I have only a small circle of friends, had only a sparse few dates in the last decade (DECADE!), and no real ambition to better myself, but I can manage to climb into a 30+ year old Z-car and listen to my heart beating my life away while I try feebley to improve 6 square inches of sheetmetal that no one else will ever even see. I guess the good news is that I'm not into the loansharks trying to support this habit, and upon having this epiphany I still had the good sense to get out of the 105 degree garage and come into the cool house. At which time I found myself at the kitchen counter test fitting some parts together. Everyone keeps asking what I plan to do when this car is done, and now you know that you'll likely find me digging through trash bins behind dealerships looking for old parts to restore. All there is to say now is that if this monkey is going to ride me like a jockey, I hope he never goes to the whip.

Sounds familiar, I'm waiting for pentrating oil and carb cleaner to do their thing so that I can finish rebuilding my carbs. I'm the only one I know that has more car / airplane parts than other things in my bedroom! I currently have a 240 hatch, L20 crank, 260 intake setup, a complete A/C system, four tires, two wheels, two valve covers, three intake manifolds, five timing gears, and five aircraft engine cylinders (one O-200, two O-480, and two R-2800). If your wondering why I have all this stuff in my bedroom, one word ...apartment.

I need a garage!

Back in my honda days I had a B18B on a stand in my room, on my pool table in the living room I had a garrett t04 turbo, at least one single cam cylinder head, and who knows how many other parts and tools strewn about...luckily now that i'm super z guy, i only have one closet outside with 12 wheels (with tires), an extra n47 cylinder head, a set of lockers with a half completed turbo manifold, a (different) garrett t04 turbo,an ssautochrome wastegate, a half completed intake manifold, two complete wiring harnesses, most of an energy suspension bushing kit, a welder, an airbrush and pump, and all kinds of other assorted crap that may or may not ever get finished/installed. I blame that consolidation on my wife...

Don't even get me started on talking about parts in the house! Both back bedrooms are piled high, the dining room table is a parts repository, there's newly painted fenders hanging on the furniture in the living room. And on and on and on. Hmmmmmm, maybe that's part of the explanation of so few dates!

Guest ON3GO

i sleep on the floor... my bed holds my custom manifold, wastegate, fender mirrors, oil pan and so much more.....

my storage is fully packed with parts, its insane!

i cant wait till i get my own house to stuff parts into!

You guys just made my day. I look at my garage and think "God, what happened to this place", but at least all my parts are in the garage and that's where they'll stay.

BTW: I have an R180 w/mustach bar and half shafts, a full set of suspension springs and a drive shaft all from my 73 240 I'll give away if anybody wants them. Just pay the shipping and their yours.

Wheelman

This sounds strangely familiar. I found myself in almost the exact same spot yesterday: Wearing shorts, sitting on the sway bar in my garage at about 95F and grinding away at the remains of the hood latch assembly and battery tray. By the time I was done my legs were gray from all the metal dust, I've been blowing out black boogers since yesterday as well. Nothing like a little iron in your diet....

Currently my wife and I have an understanding: All of the car parts stay inside the garage, which for all intents and purposes is considered as an estrogen exclusion zone. The house is hers to do whatever she wants to as far as decorating, storage, etc. The second anything with a floral pattern enters the garage, it will be lit on fire, and then the fire will be extinguished with a hammer, or urine, whichever happens to be available at the time. So far the system works very well....

Mike

your not even HOOKED YET, TRY owning 3 vettes and keeping them all in various states of modification,having 6 engines on engine stands in various stages of being built, having your BROTHER-IN-LAWS vette being rebuilt, in the same garage, WHILE completing the building of a $130,000 garage (36d x 74W x 16T)

and being married with kids, and grand kids......your still learning guy! and barely into the hobby,but theres still hope! you can get SERIOUS, START WORKING ON THE CAR!

youll know your (HOOKED) if you ever start skipping meals to save money for a new TIG welder and your thinking about loosing weight not because of health or looks but because theres nothing else on the car you can modify to make it faster

Ive WORKED ON REBUILT and SWAPPED ENGINES in MANY (Z) cars , both my brother-in-lays used to own them (with chevy V8 conversions) ive got a cousin in tampa who owned one for several yeas also, but IVE yet to own one myself, altho I had one for over a year that was given to me to drive & rebuild

Ive got(own) three corvettes currently 1985.1992,1996, and my BROTHER-IN-LAWS 1974 in the garage, thats all I can currently handle.

unless..I find a really exceptionally clean 1990 or newer 300z dirt cheap with a busted / or missing drivetrain/engine........thats looking for a home...........