HybridZ

2004r question

Guest Crossfire

Guest Crossfire

I am new to the TH 2004r...

Does it suffer from the same problem as the 700r4 ie. can not run full throttle in 4th gear without modifying the valve body?

The 200 from what i've seen is basically a 350 with an overdrive gear, the 700 gives a better first gear. Some people just prefer the 200 over the 700 but it really depends on who "built" it in my opinion because i've seen both perform well.

The 2004r is a fine trans when built correctly. It's also a nice trans choice for a Z car swap in that it's a smaller trans than the 700r4 (it fits better). The gear ratio spread is also better in my opinion, with a higher over drive ratio (.68-1 if I remember correctly) allowing for a steper rear end gear ratio (3:90 or 4:10) but reasonable engine RPM at freeway speeds.

It's my intention to run one behind a 454 BBC in my Z.

• 2 weeks later...
The 2004r is a fine trans when built correctly. It's also a nice trans choice for a Z car swap in that it's a smaller trans than the 700r4 (it fits better). The gear ratio spread is also better in my opinion' date=' with a higher over drive ratio (.68-1 if I remember correctly) allowing for a steper rear end gear ratio (3:90 or 4:10) but reasonable engine RPM at freeway speeds.

It's my intention to run one behind a 454 BBC in my Z.[/quote']

Does anyone know of a good transmission shop in San Antonio, TX... or near here... that can do a decent build of a 200-4R and swap it in place of a TH350? It needs to handle 400/400 plus an occasional 100 progressive shot of nitrous without any fuss.

Umm... and I need the best $-price-$ I can find too. I just bought this car and the seller lied through his teeth. In its present condition, I WAY overpaid and I have a lot to do to "bring it up to speed".

ANOTHER OPTION... Is it feasible to use a factory stock 200-4R if removed from a performance vehicle and with low miles? If so, which vehicles should I look for? I know the Buick Grand National had a fairly good one, but I don't know what else. Will one from a Buick or other non-Chevy 200-4R bolt direct to this Gen1 350 SBC made in the late 60's?

Guest Crossfire

Well, since I started this thread I might as well stick my nose in.

I just finished a TH-350/2004R conversion on my 79 Corvette. I put it behind a roller cam Vortec 350 with plenty of hp. I LOVE it!! The 2004r can be built to handle 1000+ hp. (according to Art Carr & others) Of course you won't get a transmission that can take that kind of hp on a small budget. The trans I just built is basically stock with the exception of a B&M Transpack kit. Right now I doubt I have more than $300 in the overhaul. I am tring to contact Art Carr as we speak trying to locate a WOT kit to finish it off.

All in all, the 2004r is a GREAT choice for this kind of conversion. So good I just bought another 10 bolt unit just in case I get the urge to convert another car in the future. If I can be of any help in the future just drop me an email. I will be glad to share what I have learned on this conversion.

Be safe,

Ken

Well' date=' since I started this thread I might as well stick my nose in.

I just finished a TH-350/2004R conversion on my 79 Corvette. I put it behind a roller cam Vortec 350 with plenty of hp. I LOVE it!! The 2004r can be built to handle 1000+ hp. (according to Art Carr & others) Of course you won't get a transmission that can take that kind of hp on a small budget. The trans I just built is basically stock with the exception of a B&M Transpack kit. Right now I doubt I have more than $300 in the overhaul. I am tring to contact Art Carr as we speak trying to locate a WOT kit to finish it off.

All in all, the 2004r is a GREAT choice for this kind of conversion. So good I just bought another 10 bolt unit just in case I get the urge to convert another car in the future. If I can be of any help in the future just drop me an email. I will be glad to share what I have learned on this conversion.

Be safe,

Ken[/quote']

Hi Crossfire,

I guess I sort of stepped on your toes with my post. I'm sorry. That wasn't what I intended to do. I'll try to learn more about proper forum etiguette:icon50:

It sounds like your power plant has about the same output as mine, but with better heads (mine are Edelbrock Performer RPM's). In your experience, a stock 200-4R will stand up to this setup as long as a Transpack and WOT kit are installed? This sounds too easy:p

Guest Crossfire

Hi all,

I did not mean to imply that my toes had been stepped on. Nothing wrong with your etiquette Mike! I was afraid of boring everyone with tales of my exploits!! Hahaha

As far as the conversion goes…. I just got off the phone with Art Carr Performance (a place that actually has human beings answering the phone!! Imagine that!!) and they have the shift kit & WOT kit in one package. I will be removing the Transpack in favor of the Carr kit because B&M does not offer the WOT for the 2004r.

I have done many conversions over the years (which makes me WAY older than most of you) and this was ALMOST bolt for bolt. I will not bore all of you with all the details here. Just suffice it to say that this old guy recommends this conversion to anyone who wants a good close ratio 4 speed automatic.

A note for Mike:

It would take me a couple of days but I would be happy to put a little list together so that you can get an idea what this conversion costs if you want it.

Be safe all,

Ken

Hi all' date='[/size']

I did not mean to imply that my toes had been stepped on. Nothing wrong with your etiquette Mike! I was afraid of boring everyone with tales of my exploits!! Hahaha

As far as the conversion goes…. I just got off the phone with Art Carr Performance (a place that actually has human beings answering the phone!! Imagine that!!) and they have the shift kit & WOT kit in one package. I will be removing the Transpack in favor of the Carr kit because B&M does not offer the WOT for the 2004r.

I have done many conversions over the years (which makes me WAY older than most of you) and this was ALMOST bolt for bolt. I will not bore all of you with all the details here. Just suffice it to say that this old guy recommends this conversion to anyone who wants a good close ratio 4 speed automatic.

A note for Mike:

It would take me a couple of days but I would be happy to put a little list together so that you can get an idea what this conversion costs if you want it.

Be safe all,

Ken

Thank you, Crossfire. I've noticed that... occasionally... some take offense at us inexperienced folks, who might not be educated in the ways of on-line forums. I appreciate your kind response.

I too appreciate "human beings" answering requests. These days too many companies are using automated systems in the persuit of "efficiency". I wonder when they will "wake up" to our "hang-ups"?

I'm WAY older than most on these forums too. In fact, I would venture to say that I've forgotten as much about "old school" stuff as they currently have about "new school" stuff... and I've forgotten A LOT OF STUFF!!!

I would love to have a cost list, if you have it Crossfire!!

Many Thanks,

Mike

Guest Crossfire
Thank you' date=' Crossfire. I've noticed that... occasionally... some take offense at us inexperienced folks, who might not be educated in the ways of on-line forums. I appreciate your kind response.

I too appreciate "human beings" answering requests. These days too many companies are using automated systems in the persuit of "efficiency". I wonder when they will "wake up" to our "hang-ups"?

I'm WAY older than most on these forums too. In fact, I would venture to say that I've forgotten as much about "old school" stuff as they currently have about "new school" stuff... and I've forgotten A LOT OF STUFF!!!

I would love to have a cost list, if you have it Crossfire!!

Many Thanks,

Mike[/quote']

No problem Mike,

It will take me a few days but I will get something back to you.

No problem Mike' date='

It will take me a few days but I will get something back to you.[/quote']

Hi Crossfire,

Please don't go out of your way for this. It'll be a few weeks before I can divert the funds for a new tranny.

Guest Crossfire

Not a problem. I got most of it done last night. Us old guys have those sleepless nights often!!!

I need just a bit of info though. What engine is this trans going behind? I assume the whole thing is going in a Z??

Ken

Not a problem. I got most of it done last night. Us old guys have those sleepless nights often!!!

I need just a bit of info though. What engine is this trans going behind? I assume the whole thing is going in a Z??

Ken

Yeah... I sympathise with your sleepless nights. After a bad night... the following day I scurry around like a ninny:willy_nil trying to get things done and I feel like a zombie:ugg: I often take 200mg 5-HTP and 100mg Melatonin an hour or so before bedtime. It helps a little. I've also used a Schiff product called Knockout. You might give it a try. Of course all these are supplements and can be ordered on-line much cheaper than store prices. I also avoid caffeine after noon and I don't eat anything after 7PM. A nightcap helps too:-P You could also visit your doctor... the legal drug dealer:cool:... and ask him for something cheap and non-addicting. If I had a girlfriend, she could... umm... rock me to sleep. We all know how much that helps:tongue:

This is a 260Z with a fairly healthy carbureted Gen1 350 SBC. I'm hoping for 400/400 output after re-fitting/re-tuning (maybe a bit more). I'll be installing a solid roller cam with a revised LS1 (Ford Windsor) firing order and with as much lift/duration as is streetable and suitable for the unmodified Edelbrock RPM aluminum heads and with a 1800 RPM stall converter. I may opt for a 2000 RPM stall converter, but no higher. I'll be adding an additional 100-125HP of progressive nitrous, which I'll only use in 3rd and 4th gears and only in emergency situations:biggrin: I can't use any more nitrous because the pistons are cast hyper:icon50:

Does anyone know of a good transmission shop in San Antonio, TX... or near here... that can do a decent build of a 200-4R and swap it in place of a TH350? It needs to handle 400/400 plus an occasional 100 progressive shot of nitrous without any fuss.[/font']
I know someone in Beeville who built me a TH 700-R4 and a TH 350 to go behind a ~400 HP 350 Chevy motor in a Z in which the block came from City Motor Supply in Dallas...cast crank/rods/pistons. He also built me a rock solid TH-350 for an '84 Monte Carlo w/ ~300HP 5.7L.. It's all in the kit though. Bring him the trans and the right kit including heavy-duty clutches and he'll put it all together for you, drill the plates, whatever you want.

He studies transmissions all the time to keep abreast of the latest and greatest available and to keep on top of all the tips and tricks of the trade. And if you're unsure of what kit to get, he told me one time that he could have gotten me the same kit which I paid $900 for to go into a 4R70-W, for half the price using factory parts. Next time, I'll go to him first to see if he can save me a buck on parts too.

Guest Crossfire
My 87 T Type tranny full throttle shifted into OD stock.

I'm sorry but I don't know what a "T" type transmission is. Suffice it to say that MOST 2004r/700r4 transmissions will not upshift from 3rd to 4th under wide open throttle without modification to the valve body. Otherwise companies like B&M and Art Carr Performance would not need to sell wide open throttle kits don't you think? :-D

Ken

Guest Crossfire

Ya gotta admit... us Corvette guys are kinda dumb!!! (I mean, who else would drive a PLASTIC car ?) :icon50:

It is my understanding that a FEW transmissions like the ones in the Grand National cars were able to do full throttle upshifts but they ARE the exception. Why have a GNX when ya can't get out of 3rd gear huh?? Which, by the way, is the problem with my Corvette conversion that brought me here. 130 in 3rd gear just ain't that much fun!!! If you have followed this thread the problem is resolved. With some help from a couple of members I found the proper kit at Art Carr Peformance. :-P

Ken

I know someone in Beeville who built me a TH 700-R4 and a TH 350 to go behind a ~400 HP 350 Chevy motor in a Z in which the block came from City Motor Supply in Dallas...cast crank/rods/pistons. He also built me a rock solid TH-350 for an '84 Monte Carlo w/ ~300HP 5.7L.. It's all in the kit though. Bring him the trans and the right kit including heavy-duty clutches and he'll put it all together for you' date=' drill the plates, whatever you want.

He studies transmissions all the time to keep abreast of the latest and greatest available and to keep on top of all the tips and tricks of the trade. And if you're unsure of what kit to get, he told me one time that he could have gotten me the same kit which I paid $900 for to go into a 4R70-W, for half the price using factory parts. Next time, I'll go to him first to see if he can save me a buck on parts too.[/quote']

Hi JustAFantaZ. Do you mind sharing this transmission guys' telephone number? Is this an individual or a shop?

Hi JustAFantaZ. Do you mind sharing this transmission guys' telephone number? Is this an individual or a shop?
Sure thing, it's a shop.

Here's the info:

Beeville Automatic Transmission

1503 S. Washington

Beeville, Texas

bautotra at lonestarinternet dot net

Over 30 years in business

Hope everything works out for your project.