HybridZ

Interesting exhaust fume observation.

zero

I know this subject has been covered alot but I just had an interesting observation with my car. I have recently been getting my car ready to have my girlfriend in it, make it ride a bit smoother, fix the exhaust smell, etc. So yesterday I retuned my carbs and finished sealing up the area around my fuel cell. Before yesterday, I got very mild fumes and I figured they were coming from the rear of my cell where there was about a half inch by 7 inch gap. However, Once I sealed up that hole, I seem to be getting more fumes in the car. At first I thought it was that I might have improperly tuned the car and im just getting more pungent fumes, but it also feels warmer in the car especially in the rear as if from the heat of the exhaust. My hatch seal has never been too good, but now im pretty sure the rear floor of the car is pretty well sealed. What I think happened is that there always was a low pressure area in the rear of the car, and when there was a gap at the cell, it could suck in the cooler, non exhaust-y air. Now that I have sealed up those holes, it seems that the only place for the pressure differential to try to balance out is the rear hatch seal and probably the taillights. This led me to think that there are three possible solutions, completely seal the rear of the car, move the exhaust outlet so it exits out the side or somewhere else, or put in a port for the car to draw in cool clean high pressure air. What do you guys think of my hypothesis?

I think you're letting a girl change you. :P

But on a serious note, if you seal the entire area you will be happier, because that will get ALL the fumes out. If you just do a balancing port, you will still get fumes ocasionally. And if you do a side exit exhaust it's just going to look like crap imo.

Yeah, I just got a stern talking to from my wife about "dumping money on that piece of crap" when I tried to show her the great deal Paulo wanted to make for one of those blem C/F front fascias he's getting rid of...Women...And for the record, my wife has never set foot in my car either. (it's not my daily driver). I can't imagine why, her friends that I've driven around in it all say how cool it is to smell like gas when you get out of the car...

your tail light gaskets might be detiriorated. In that case you can fix it with some CHEAP 1/2" (or 5/8") high density foam weather stripping from home dopot. Let me tell you this stuff has gone a LONG way for me. I sealed up my tail lights, (no more fumes) I used it to install my water temp gauge, and I used it to shock mount my radio. I LOVE THIS STUFF!

I had an idea about hatch seals that I haven't put to use yet, but I still plan on. The Nissan weatherstripping for the hatch pretty well blows chunks I think we can all agree on that. So why not grind off that lip and use a real DOOR weatherstrip in that area??? Then you're talking $20 for the JC Whitney type seals which slide onto the the sheet and won't deform or fall off like the crappy stock hatch w/s.

I was thinking of using a split rubber vacuum hose or something, but I like that idea Jon, it would probably work pretty well. I hate the hatch seal I've got. I'm not even convinced it's the right seal for this car, it came in the back of a parts car I got, and it was pretty close. Blows chunks pretty much describes it though.

• 1 year later...